1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows update won't finish loading

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kiddetoolman, Dec 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kiddetoolman

kiddetoolman Thread Starter

I click on windows update and when I get to the screen that is
    checking for the latest version of windows update software..

it just hangs in limbo, it claims to say it will take a minute or two and in the past it hasalways been 10-20 seconds.

when I click over on the left "Welcome"
    after a few seconds the screen refreshes but when I click scan for updates it says it never finished loading and click cancel to refresh and then it just hangs there again infinitly.

Running registered windows XP pro w/sp1

if I need to include anymore info please let me know.
    Firewall is all checked to allow internet
    :confused:

2. eoJeoJ

eoJeoJ

I had the same problem before but it was with Win2K. My problem was there was some spyware that prevented the Windows Update from working correctly, so that might be your case. Have you scanned your computer for any viruses or spyware lately? Also are you running a firewall? If so try turning it off then running Windows Update. Hope this helps.

3. snappy_31

snappy_31

I would try doing the spyware deal like eoJoeJ mentioned and anti virus etc. I would also go into Internet Explorer Properties and clear history and temporary Internet files there may be a partial download in there.
    Hope this helps
    Peter

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/190943

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice