1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows update wont launch, immediatley crashes.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by stljason1, Feb 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stljason1

stljason1 Thread Starter

Sorry about this but I have quite a bit of initial background information that really now only boils down to a fairly small problem, but It is all relevant information. A few days ago my computer started getting stop error messages, usually while browsing internet explorer. Sometimes they would just shut down IE, other times completley crash windows, causing an immediate re-boot, rather than the blue screen of death. Anyways, it would boot back up, saying it recovered from a serious error, cause by a device driver, or stop error. One of the remedies it listed was trying to do a repair of windows XP, which I ended up doing. It was only after I did this repair that I realized (remembered) what was causing the errors. Several years ago when I first got my current computer, I had similar problems. I fixed the problems by going into bios and adjusting the RAM timings, AKA slightly underclocking my RAM. Apparently there is some issue with my Motherboard where the speed of RAM I had installed is actually too fast of a speed for the motherboard, even though it lists that it should support the speed (I belive PC3200) Anyways like I said, it wasnt until after I did a repair of XP that I remembered that we had had a power outage a few days prior, that caused my BIOS settings to revert back to default. If I wouldve realized that initially, I probably wouldnt be having the problem I am having now. I ended up running the Repair of XP where it re-installs itself. During the Repair, I recieved several errors. One was something like "Failed to load the library C:\windows\system32\catsrv.dll Sub component COM+ raised an exception." I also got several errors that went like this "An error occoured while loading C\program files\commonfiles\system\directdb.dll The file may not have been installed or been corrupted." This second type of error happened several times all at once, leaving me with the only option of clicking OK, after which it continued the installation normally. Now, with the repair completed, Im not recieving any stop errors, and most programs seem stable, with the big exception of Windows Update. If I try to launch windows update by any means, by using Start - Windows update, or navigating there via IE, it IMMEDIATLEY crashes. The only thing I can think of, is my windows CD is too scratched to read a few of the files, which is what is giving me my current problem. I have the Product Key, so I assume I could try to borrow a friends Windows XP CD and see if it repairs fine with that, but im wondering if there is something I missed, or something else I can do to see if I can fix the problem. I ran a full chkdsk, which came out fine. IE has reverted back to IE6, but I wouldnt think that should affect anything? I cant update it anyways because like I said I cant run windows update. Sorry about the long rambling explination, but I feel everything is potentially relevant to my problem. My system specs should be in my profile. Im stumped, and any help would be greatley appreciated.

2. stljason1

stljason1 Thread Starter

Oh I have also discovered that outlook express wont run at all. I try to open it and get absolutley nothing.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/547962

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice