1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Update won't run

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by n3ntj, Mar 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. n3ntj

n3ntj Thread Starter

WIN 7 Pro (SP1) 32 bit on a Fujitsu T4410 laptop convertible.

I ran a ghost of my old HDD a few weeks ago and have a larger HDD now running. The new HDD is a Western Digital Blue WD3200BBVT (320 GB) SATA 300.

When I try to run Windows Update, it says that the service isn't running. I go into the Services window and stop and restart the Windows Update Service. It says it is set to Automatically run and it has started.

I ran a Microsoft FixIt to fix Windows Update. Ran and it found issues with Update, it says it fixed them, I rebooted, but still no go. I get the same error as above 'the update service isn't running' even though all Services indicators tell me that it is running.

I renamed the Software Distrubution folder with the ".old" suffix to no avail after trying Windows Update again.

I ran a Windows Update re-install (including aggressive methods) to no avail after trying Windows Update again.

Anyone have any more suggestions? Getting frustrated.

Thanks.

2. TekTime

TekTime

Was your old drive smaller than 250GB?

If so... chances are the problem could be driver-related. Perhaps Windows continued to use the storage driver for the older, <250GB drive, when a different driver, made to accommodate larger drives may be required.

Check to see if there are drivers available for the new device that maybe didn't install.

I hope that helps!

3. n3ntj

n3ntj Thread Starter

Yes the original HDD was a 160GB drive and wasn't a WD brand drive. I think it was a Seagate drive. Can I update the HDD driver using Device Manager? It really all started when I hot a message yesterday saying my Win7 install wasn't valid and it wanted to run a MS program to verify the authenticity. My WIN7 Pro install us an OEM version of WIN 7 Pro.

4. TekTime

TekTime

Hmmmm...first you would most likely need to validate your installation before Windows Update will be allowed to run. Run the authenticity checker and then update the driver.

Yes, you should be able to update it from Device Manager, as long as you know the location of the newer driver. The "search online for driver..." never seems to work for some reason.

5. n3ntj

n3ntj Thread Starter

When I run the Windows Activation technologies program, I keep getting error: "Update Installation Information: Error 0xC8000247" when it tries installing. This is what started before the I noticed the Windows Update not working.

I can't run the Activation and I can't run Windows Update. Don't know what to do next.

Can I simply run an uninstall driver for the HDD in Device Manager and Win7 will look for the proper driver or will this screw with my WIN install?

Other than this issue, the WIN7 install works fine. The original WIN7 Pro product ID code is still posted under System and it says that WIN7 Pro is activated.

I did find that I had made a WIN7 Pro install DVD if that helps at all.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1092848

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice