1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Update

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lschul, Apr 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

How do you make windows update get and install updates automatically? Or at least download them and notify me to install?

2. kwickcut

kwickcut

this is for win XP
    goto control panel then click on system then click on automatic update then check keep my computer up to date bla bla bla then under settings on same tap click on what ya want to do set your own or watever ya want then click apply and ya are done

kwick

3. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

it is greyed out and won't let me do anything, what could be the problem?

4. rude

rude

In Windows XP Home Edition, you must be logged on as a computer administrator to install components or modify Automatic Updates settings. In Windows XP Professional, you must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings might also prevent you from completing this procedure.

5. WinXP2004

WinXP2004

Hi lschul,

Turn on the Automatic Updates feature

Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
    Double click Automatic Updates.

Important: If Automatic Updates does not appear, click view all Control Panel options.

Click Automatic Updates

Select an Automatic Updates setting. Microsoft recommends selecting Automatically download updates and notify me when they are ready to be installed. Follow the rest of the steps to complete setting up Automatic Updates.

Click Automatically download updates and notify me
    when they are ready to be installed

Next, get up to date using Windows Update

Here's how you can bring your computer up to date with security updates that are currently available. You can also use these instructions to keep up with the latest non-critical updates:

Go to the Windows Update website at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com.
    On the Windows Update site, click Scan for Updates. Windows Update then scans your computer and displays a pre-selected list of critical updates, including security updates and service packs.

Click Scan for updates

Important: Slower modems might take several hours to download all recommended updates the first time you use Windows Update. Download times might vary, depending on modem speed and how many updates your computer needs. To reduce download times, run Windows Update when you are not using your computer for other Internet-related tasks.
    Under Pick updates to install, click Critical Updates and Service Packs. Windows Update then creates a list of the updates that are appropriate for your computer.
    Click Review and install updates.
    Select the updates to install, then click Install Now. You might have to restart your computer after installing the updates.

Click Review and install updates

Note: Be sure to go back to Windows Update after installation to check for any additional downloads. You may need to do this several times.

6. rude

rude

If this is your problem,the first thing to check in this case would be to go to Start/run and

type services.msc
    Scroll down to automatic updates and double click on it, ensure the

start-up type is automatic and the service is started. Then view the

automatic update tab in system properties again.

99.9% of the time this is the cause, if you have an issue starting the

service you may want to try going to start/run and entering sfc

/scannow

Keep your xp cd handy in case you're asked to chuck it into your cd rom

7. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

This is my laptop and I am running XP Pro, I am the only one logged on, so I am not exactly sure how to get it to work, how do I work the adminitartor angle?

8. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

I am the administraotr on this computer too so I am not sure why this is happening?

9. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

Got It! I just did the serivces.msc thing, thanks Rude!

10. rude

rude

Did you try this?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221116

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice