1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows update

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ms_khw, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ms_khw

ms_khw Thread Starter

I've just refomated my system (XP), and turned on the automatic update feature, and have downloaded all critical updates. But during the scan process of my system to see what updates I needed, it didn't show the service pack 1. I went to the microsoft site to find and download it, but cannot locate it. Can someone please tell me where I can find it?
    with thanks, khw

2. xgerryx

xgerryx

If you have just reformated it would be a good time to go straight to SP2 as it contains a complete rollup of SP1 and all updates.

3. ms_khw

ms_khw Thread Starter

I've run the scan for needed updates and it does not show this service pack 2. I have also read that there are people that have had problems with service pack. So I'm not sure what to do :confused :confused: Should I install the service pack one and if yes, where do I find it?
    with thanks,

4. dai

dai

5. ms_khw

ms_khw Thread Starter

Well as I've been advised here, I looked into the service pack 2. I read about why I wouldn't be informed of this needed update and found that it was because of something I had in my system blocking the notification, or there being an issue with this service pack because of it. Should I still go ahead with its installation?

6. berndawg84

berndawg84

I've been having problems with Windows update too, and it doesn't automatically install updates...but yes, I would recommend installing SP2, it hasn't caused my computer any problems....yet ;)

7. dai

dai

yes it will create a restore point to go back to
    i still have not sorted the auto update have to do it manually,originally ms said the reason was not logged on as admin,i only have admin accounts
    now it is because something is blocking my admin rights

8. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

You might try turning off Automatice Updates, rebooting and turning them back on. On the subject of SP2, I'm with you - we paid for it when we bought XP so we should take it and work through any difficulties. Personally, I've had none.

9. Old Rich

Old Rich

Most of the problems you hear about are due to pre-existing spyware, trojans and odd ball installed programs . . since you will be performing a clean install, you should have none of those issues to deal with. I have used the full download ( or the Microsoft CD) or a slipstreamed installation disc on almost 30 machines now, and had one legitimate program conflict ( DrDivx which they corrected quickly )

wrs

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274594

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice