1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Update

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Clumbsy_Mage, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clumbsy_Mage

Clumbsy_Mage Thread Starter

Trying to use Microsofts update webpage but nothing happens, the website loads up and it just sits there. Nothing else loads.

Running on SP1, using IE6.

Attached Files:

2. Sadan01

Sadan01

Please see this article regarding the problem:

Firewall Stopping Windows Update From working

That article mentions Zone Alarm as being the problem but I am sure that any other firewall could possibly be blocking Windows update.

Also, this article has been known to solve the problem too:

WinUpdate indicates software needs to be updated

If you do the steps in the article directly above, then try this from a command prompt:

net stop wuauserv
    regsvr32 wups.dll
    regsvr32 wuapi.dll
    regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
    net start wuauserv

Other than that, do you have Trusted ActiveX Controls enabled in IE?

3. Cadet

Cadet

Hi there mate - i have had this problem on a pc at work.
    Unfortunately i dont have a "fix" at the moment , but i do have a "work around"

when you get to the page you posted above click on the link on the left hand side that says "administrator options" then click on the link that comes up which is called " Windows Update Catalog" (or clickhere ) , then click on the link on the left called " Windows Update" this will then take you to the old windows update site.

Hope it helps

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324062

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice