1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows updater Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by badasmyth, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. badasmyth

badasmyth Thread Starter

Does my Windows Updater check for updates on everything in the computer( printers, video cards, etc.) or is it just doing windows products? If it is not checking for everything, how do I configure my compuer so that it checks for updates on everything?

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Windows Update is now call Microsoft Update and only works on MS products.

As for the others, IF the OEM offers the update service then it MAY be listed in the Options or Help of the software provided.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Some driver updates may appear in Windows Update, but I would not recommend using them in most cases. The drivers from the manufacturer always have improved functionality, even if not WHQL.

4. RobLinux

RobLinux

How do you guys sort out which Manufacturer updates, you should install and which you shouldn't?

I've found this a royal pain, as Dell don't have a coherent system to see what version of which package is installed, and it appears that companies in the Windows world are slapdash about version numbers and such. This means you get advised to install driver updates you already have, or updates for hardware you don't have and could never have.

All this stuff is handled automatically by Linux package management systems, and there I generally have a real explanation of what the reason for the patch is, helping me decide whether to accept it immediately, refuse it or delay if I want others to 'field test' and I can check bug reports. Windows Help is just patronising and writen (via copy/paste some generic help page) to avoid giving any real information.

This driver & software update issue in Vista is driving me crazy. I've already had Manufacturer software downgrade bits of other programs provided by their partners; causing need to reinstall that package, or remove it completely.

This seems like an unmangeable mess, that will only get worse with time.

5. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Most of the time if the device works DON"T mess with it.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Exactly. Unless there is a specific reason for an update, such as increased frame-rate with graphics drivers if you happen to be a gamer, or some other improved functionality or incompatibility problem, it's best just to leave the drivers alone.

Often, you will find that a new driver is released for recent hardware that is supposedly back-compatible to hardware previously made. You may find in many of those cases that the new driver is actually not a good match for your current hardware and you are better off keeping the old one.

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

Lately since Vista I have been trying Windows driver updates and must admit I have had success with them and no real problems. Honestly I hold my breath especially with video drivers or nic card drivers but so far so good, as in the past some ms driver updates have hosed systems.
    You all need to remember something as there is this idea that Microsoft makes driver updates and that really is not so. The Ms drivers really are supplied by the vendors as Ms has no time for such projects, but rather ask vendors for those to add into updates and service packs.

8. RobLinux

RobLinux

Your manufacturer tells you something like "Urgent Update : Install Immediately for Stability Reasons" in some cases, recommended or optional in others.

The tough thing is finding out what the real reason is, the technical one, not the standard text.
    One I had was the Intergrated Network driver, that could have security implications if you ignore it. Can't it?

Also the time wasting, clicking through device manager to check versions and figure out if it's even an update an whether they offered this one previously.

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

I've never had any real problems with MS drivers (from the manufactirers, yes) except that they pre-empt the better, newer drivers that I got from the company. The MS display drivers, for example, don't usually support OpenGL graphics, while all the ones from NVidia or ATI do. Maybe a copyright issue, but uopdating with MS for drivers may well leave you with a poorer driver with less functionality.

There is no need to go through Device Manager. The update is only offered if the one on the machine is older.

10. RobLinux

RobLinux

That's one to watch then, Windows Update re-installing MS updates, that they shouldn't.

The manufacturer provide a web page, with 'alerts' to important driver & software updates (they say). The problem is that they have not got a decent update system, so they're offering downgrades and/or recommending irrelevant installs.

The only way I can see to check on what they suggest, is to go down into the DM and check the versions manually.

I could try filing a bug report on their web page, saying Customers need way of noting which suggestions they have already looked at.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650149

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice