1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows updates do not complete

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by dougglos, Jun 21, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor

Cheers
    The advantage is as I said that the Microsoft link makes the usb for you
    You do not have to configure anything

2. dougglos

dougglos Thread Starter

First Name:
    Douglas
    Just an update - the new Flash Drive arrived the day after I ordered it, and I used the Media Creation Tool as you indicated. Only a short time to complete, (about 17 minutes) but eventually received the "Your USB Flash Drive is Ready" message. At that, the only thing I did with it was to put it away safely, and wait until you are next online to guide me through the rest of the process! Will look out for your next post early next week. Regards.

3. dougglos

dougglos Thread Starter

First Name:
    Douglas
    QUESTIONS RE WINDOWS 10 INSTALL ROUTINE

Other than the following items, I feel that I am now at last prepared to run the actual Windows 10 Installation.

1. Am I correct in thinking that none of my external ports should be connected while the installation routine is in progress, e. g., my external backup drive?

2. Near the end of the Windows 10 install routine that you included in your post #207, in item 4 did you mean that the file showing as “DVD Drive ESD-ISO” on my desktop is the one to be used to right-click, and Mount, after which I should click the setup icon there?

Once you have confirmed these I will then post a brief precis of what I consider to be the full routine to enable me to carry it out. Hopefully you will be able to agree its content, after which I shall run that.

With regards (and crossed fingers!).

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2018
  4. Macboatmaster

I am back home and will be ready to start at 1900 hrs tomorrow Friday if that is suitable to you.
    The first job until then is to see if you can boot the computer from the usb flash pen using the same method as you tried with the DVD
    that is on the first screen tap the F12 key
    WITH the usb already connected before powering on the computer
    If that does not work then you enter setup and make first boot device the usb
    You MAY see two entries for the usb pen you want the one that includes the UEFI if there are two.

In respect of your questions
    1. Yes leave your external drive disconnected
    2. The mentioned DVD drive will NOT be on your desktop, on that should be the ISO file which is shown as an icon of a DVD usually and titled windows
    Only when you right click that click mount will you see the virtual DVD drive

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 4:58 PM
  5. dougglos

dougglos Thread Starter

First Name:
    Douglas
    Good to have you back - hope your break went well! Friday from 1900 hours suits me perfectly.

1. Re the DVD Drive - this shows an image of a DVD (with a little envelope) so I am sure that is the relevant drive. Just to be certain, when I right click it, I see "Mount" which gives options of "boot/efi/sources/autorun/bootmgr./bootmgr.efi/ and setup". I assume that this last item is the appropriate one to use to begin the installation?

2. External drive will be disconnected as advised.

3. Re booting from the USB - with the PC off, I inserted the USB stick and switched on. I began pressing the F12 key, and was immediately faced with a small screen showing "Select Boot Device". That gave me the options of "Windows Boot Manager", or "UEFI SanDisk Partition 1".
    If I used the first item, the PC went straight through to my desktop as normal. The other one went to a screen offering "Language to install / Time & Currency /Keyboard or Input Method". Not being sure of this, I cancelled and came back to my normal desktop. So I am not sure whether either of these points to proving that the USB is in fact able to boot the PC. I do know, however, that the USB is definitely shown as the first boot device, viz., "1st Boot Device - Removable Device"

I'm sure that when we have sorted out these last items I will be ready to begin the installation.

6. dougglos

dougglos Thread Starter

First Name:
    Douglas
    Another point re my last (#215) post. When I started the PC without the USB flash drive connected and immediately pressed the F12 key, nothing progressed. Would that mean that, as the USB is set as the first boot device, that my PC will only start via the USB route, i.e., what we are trying to achieve? Just a thought.

7. Macboatmaster

Online about 2045
    sorry - job taking longer than expected

8. dougglos

dougglos Thread Starter

First Name:
    Douglas
    No worries - I'll be here!

9. Macboatmaster

Sorry about that just finished job 15 minutes ago
    Are you good to go for an hour or so

10. dougglos

dougglos Thread Starter

First Name:
    Douglas
    Yes, ready and willing!

11. Macboatmaster

The first job to sort out is that the F12 key is showing the boot from the USB Sandisk
    HOWEVER without the F12 key you say that the computer will not load windows
    You also say that the first boot device is shown as the usb key
    F12 is as I have mentioned one time ONLY boot option.
    Therefore whatever you select on F12 is effective for that boot Only

Firmware settings however are applicable to all boots and you say that the USB is the first boot device
    That is OK but the second boot device should be windows boot manager - therefore without the USB inserted Windows will load
    OR YOU leave the Windows boot manager as the FIRST device and the USB as the second device.

We ONLY want to boot from the usb if something goes wrong with the repair install
    You need to enter setup as you did before and make Windows Boot Manager a bootable device
    You can make it the first device and the USB the second device.
    Therefore if windows will not load it will boot to the usb when it is inserted

Please do that now

12. dougglos

dougglos Thread Starter

First Name:
    Douglas
    Even more confusing now - I just shut down my system and restarted it, pressing F12. Received the small square headed " Select Boot Device", with "Windows Boot Manager" being the only option! Pressed Enter and PC started normally. I have the feeling that when I tried before to boot just using the F12 key perhaps I did not leave it long enough. So in other words, when I reboot the PC both with and without the USB being connected, it has started OK.

13. Macboatmaster

I am sorry to labour the point but we need to make sure this is right
    Are you now telling me that even with the USB connected the only option on F12 is the Windows Boot manager
    IF the USB is not connected then the only option will be the Windows boot manager as that is the only bootable device

The question WAS as stated - will it boot to Windows without the USB connected and WITHOUT you pressing F12

14. dougglos

dougglos Thread Starter

First Name:
    Douglas
    "The question WAS as stated - will it boot to Windows without the USB connected and WITHOUT you pressing F12"

I have just shut down my PC and after a short while restarted it without any problems (without pressing F12 or any other key)"

Does this help??

15. Macboatmaster

Cheers
    Now go to setup - firmware and disable secure boot as in my post I made just before going away for a few days
    Post 207
    Point 5
    Sub point of 5 point 1.
    I re-produce it here for you

Do not forget of course to save and exit after the change

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018 at 6:31 PM
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211870

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice