1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows updates dont install

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by owen0202, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. owen0202

owen0202 Thread Starter

I've had this problem for a while. Every time my windows tries to update, it fails.
    (Vista 32bit)

I appreciate this is very vauge, but I don't know what data you need to find the root of this problem. If you could tell me what information I need to provide I would be more than happy to do so.

Many thanks, and merry christmas to all of you.

2. Megabite

Megabite

Do they download OK.....what Anti Virus are you running?

Did they use to install?

3. Megabite

Megabite

Click Start, select Run and type (pressing enter after each one and wait for the
    success message):

net.exe stop wuauserv

Press Ok

Repeat for the following:

regsvr32 wuapi.dll
    regsvr32 wups.dll
    regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
    regsvr32 wucltui.dll
    regsvr32 msxml3.dll
    regsvr32 atl.dll

net.exe start wuauserv

4. owen0202

owen0202 Thread Starter

Thanks for the response, Im using AVG Free.

net.exe stop wuauserv flashed up command window, instantly dissapeared

regsvr32 wuapi.dll -Suceeded
    regsvr32 wups.dll -The module "wups.dll" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80070005
    regsvr32 wuaueng.dll -The module "wuaueng.dll" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80070005
    regsvr32 wucltui.dll -The module wucltui.dll failed to load. Make sure the binary is stored at the specific path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependant .DLL files. The specified module could not be found. .
    regsvr32 msxml3.dll -The module "msxml3.dll" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80070005
    regsvr32 atl.dll -The module "atl.dll" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x8002801c.

net.exe start wuauserv flashed up command window, instantly dissapeared.

I am sure I copied down the errors as they appeared, ommiting the "you can search the error on google bit". Many thanks for your help and I hope these results are of use.

5. owen0202

owen0202 Thread Starter

Anyone know a soloution? This is quite an issue.

6. owen0202

owen0202 Thread Starter

..Help please.. :)

7. njelimetz

njelimetz

uhm, many reason can make windows update won't install. maybe you want to take a note of the error msg and google it? like "stop 0x0000 something" . oh, stupid question, have tried rebooting the computer after you got the message of error installing updates? sometimes it can't install on top of other files that had been installed earlier and they only will install during reboot or before you go in windows after reboot.

just a thought. and lastly, the dumbest question? "are you running genuine windows?" :)

8. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

9. owen0202

owen0202 Thread Starter

I've had this problem for ages, reboots, reinstalling windows update installer ect ect. Too many error codes to search, as they all suggest different things. I cant even get into the event log any more to get more information about them.

My windows is 100% genuine. I had an issue of it thinking it wasn't after a reinstall when I had corrupted RAM, but replacing it fixed that hicup.

Also, I appreciate the link, but that leads to a different error code relating to office update problems. I'm talking about windows updates.

I may have to bite the bullet eventually and get a guy round to do a system restore, my computer has so many messed up things. I was hoping I could avoid it however.

10. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

11. owen0202

owen0202 Thread Starter

Okay, I ran the fixit tool. Now I'll give those updates a shot, see if they work. I seem to have accumulated a large ammount of them over time so it may take a while.

After 5 minuites the update screen is still saying 0KB total, 0% complete. Is that normal?

Update: A service pack just tried to install, failed immediatly with

Error not found hardly sounds reassuring.

Update2: All failed unfortunatly :(

So many errors :(

Thanks for the effort though :). A multitude of errors :(

12. owen0202

owen0202 Thread Starter

Any other ideas? :)

13. owen0202

owen0202 Thread Starter

14. Megabite

Megabite

15. owen0202

owen0202 Thread Starter

I'll give it a shot, but with all my messed up registeries ect, I'm not getting my hopes up ;)

Edit: Installation seems to have come to a standstill at 7/8ths.
    Edit2: Nope it hangs at the end, I'll try again.
    Edit3: Installer encountered error: 0x80240009

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970456

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice