1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows updates, service packs, etc.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by DodgerLD, May 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DodgerLD

DodgerLD Thread Starter

Hi,

If you are up-to-date with Windows updates, and then decide to install SP3 via Windows Update, the size of the download is about 60MB, whereas the SP3 network install file is over 300MB – so, I'm assuming that Windows Update is downloading only the files required to update one's system to SP3 – is that correct?

The problem is, I'm planning to re-install XP soon (And I have another XP system to update), which will mean that I will have to download ALL the updates again (which will also be a security risk, as I'll be doing so with an unpatched version of XP). So it seems it would be best to download the full SP3 file (which is fairly slow and costs money in South Africa as well).

So I would essentially be downloading many of the same updates a 2nd time. Is there any way to avoid this in the future?

If I manually download all updates after SP3, I can back those up and use them to update new installations of XP, or separate, existing installations. But, what happens when the next SP is released? (I realize that there may not be another SP for XP, but this applies to Vista as well.) I would either have to download the full SP at several hundred MBs, or update only the required files via Windows Update and have no backup if I wanted to re-install XP again (and I would have to do the same thing on both systems).

Is there any way to manually download an SP3 file that holds just the not-yet-released updates, so that it can be re-used?

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

D.

2. brillser

brillser

Hi there,
    I'm sure that you can phone MS and have them ship both CD's to you. If that would help.

3. DodgerLD

DodgerLD Thread Starter

I think I read something about the fact that there wouldn't be SP3 CDs available from MS – not sure.

4. oshwyn5

oshwyn5

You can download the SP3 update cd iso from microsoft
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...ce-b5fb-4488-8c50-fe22559d164e&displaylang=en
    and burn it to a CD.

That means that the 544.9 MB download of SP3 includes SP1 and SP2 minus any changes which were reversed. It will check and only install what is needed when run.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displaylang=en
    is the smaller 316.4 MB executable which will create an install folder which can be used to slipstream

5. DodgerLD

DodgerLD Thread Starter

Hi oshwyn5,

I was referring to physical CDs in my previous post.

I'm aware of the ISO available, but that's even larger than the network install file.

You say the latter file will create an 'install folder'? Are you saying you can't use this to install SP3 without first slipstreaming XP and re-installing? I thought this file was capable of installing SP3 itself.

D.

6. DodgerLD

DodgerLD Thread Starter

Bump.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/717035

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice