1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Updates Shutting Down My PC

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Dynamix, Jun 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dynamix

Dynamix Thread Starter

Hey,

My Toshiba Portege laptop needs some serious updating. I finally got it on to XP SP2 an now when I attempt to make the rest of the updates (such as IE 7 etc) the computer simply shuts down during installing these updates.

It's never really been used and has just been formatted. No virus signs whatsoever. Runs perfectly when not attempting to update.

Anyone know what may be causing this?

2. tinkthelizard

tinkthelizard

where did you get sp2 from? fresh install disk? or did you update from sp1?
    and if you did, did you download direct from microsoft or a third party mirror?

3. Dynamix

Dynamix Thread Starter

I updated from SP1 using the Microsoft Windows Update facility, so everything is genuine.. Although I did marginally begin an install from a third-party site as SP2 wasn't downloading from Window Update initially.

But as I pressed "Install" on the third-part SP2, the official Windows Update SP2 said it was ready to be installed so I quickly cancelled the third-party one and continued with the official MS one.

I'm sure that is insignificant though...

4. tinkthelizard

tinkthelizard

Sp2 upgrades have been known to cause problems, especially third party install, but if you downloaded directly from microsoft then this shudnt be the cause.

5. Dynamix

Dynamix Thread Starter

Any suggestions on reolving this? Should I uninstall SP2?

6. tinkthelizard

tinkthelizard

do be honest i can't find anything relating to the pc shuting down only when updating. Mght be an idea o uninstall sp2 for the time being and see if it helps.
    Sp2 caused me alot of problems when i first installed it had to uninstall. Eventually got XPsp2 full operating system and upgraded via the disk. Everything worked fine from then on.
    Let me know how you get on.

7. Dynamix

Dynamix Thread Starter

Cheers, I'll have a go.

Please, if anyone has any bright ideas, during, I'd be appreciative to hear/read them.

Thanks tink!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/579621

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice