Windows updates will not download to computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Allen642

I have tried lots of time to download windows updates, when I go to the updates page all I get is:

Checking for the latest version of the Windows Update software...

Depending on your connection speed, this might take a minute. During this time, you may receive one or more security warnings. Review each security warning to ensure that the content is signed by Microsoft, and then click Install or Yes to install the software.

and that is where it stops. It will not go any further. Page says 'done'. I have let is sit for hours and still nothing.

When I go to Control Panel and click on 'Windows Firewall' the message I get is: Due to an unidentified problem, Windows cannot display Windows Firewall settings.

I am not sure if this is part of the problem or not.
I have recently done a Compaq System Recovery, but not a destructive recovery, just to restore the original files that were loaded when machine was new. Since then I have not been able to download windows updates. Everything else seems to work fine. If anyone has any answers I would be very grateful.

My computer is Compaq Presario P8654T S3000T (OEM) running window XP, 2.40 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4, 512 kilobyte memory, on a cable modem.

Allen642

I just happened upon a site where I download a fix and everythins is fine now. Thank you again.

telecom69

Gone but never forgotten
Could I ask you to put a name to the fix so that others in the same situation might benefit ? glad you got it fixed ok (y)

Allen642

I'm sorry, I don't know where I got it. I was just perusing the internet with the term "Can't download windows updates" and chose a site, it had a fix and I just clicked on it and it worked. I was so elated that I forgot to check for the site name. Sorry and thank you for your help. I had other issues also, but as soon as I could download the new updates for Windows XP SP2 everything else is now working fine.

Awful.

My computer has been randomly rebooting so my tech friend told me I need to start my computer, change the date on my calendar ahead one year and go on a hunt for windows updates; however, I encounter the same situation as described above.

It seemed all too easy and convenient at the time but I figured I'd give it a go and it's been irking me all day.

If anyone has any advice or suggestions on ways to fix this issue, please let me know. In the meantime, I'm going to work my magic with google and if I run into any fixes, I'll be sure to post them.

Welcome to TSG.....

Kelso85 - Could you please start a new thread or topic with your problem instead of posting it in someone else's thread it makes it a lot easier to work on that way?

Thank you.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!