Windows Updates will not Install at all!

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You appear to have a HP 17-by0xxx model laptop.
What's the exact product number(P/N) and serial number(S/N) on it?

--------------------------------------------------

The issue you are having is happening due to either corrupt registry entries for drivers or corrupt drivers.
Windows update was not able to read some driver entries from registry needed to update devices.

Most likely audio component. (it doesn't matter if your audio works btw.)

It's not going to be easy to solve it, and if you want to give it a try then make sure you follow below steps carefully:

Step 1: First step is to uninstall bad software such as McAfee which you have.
You may need to search for McAfee removal tool on google because I was not able to find it if uninstallation doesn't go well. (this is normal for bloatware software such as McAfee)

Following is a list of software one should avoid to prevent unexpected system behavior:

1. Registry, disk or system cleaners
2. Driver download or updater tools
3. System tweak tools or system optimizers
4. Various malware/adware removal tools or scanners
5. Program/driver uninstallers
6. Browser extensions of questionable reputation
7. Various "fix" tools that claim to fix some problem

If you installed anything that matches the list above, please uninstall and reboot system.

Step 2: second step is to reboot system after all removal is done and then fully update your drivers in following order:
1. Chipset driver
2. reboot system
3. the rest of drivers
4. reboot system

Make sure to download drivers from original manufacturer site for your laptop or PC motherboard, not some random junk sites.

Step 3: At this point it's worth to clear old Windows update packages:
1. Press Windows key and type "disk cleanup" then run "Disk cleanup" program as Administrator
2. run it for C drive, wait to complete, select all check boxes (including Windows update) and perform cleanup.

Step 4: Reboot system and reset your Windows update:
1. Download PowerShell script from here:
https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Reset-WindowsUpdateps1-e0c5eb78
2. Open up PowerShell as Administrator and run this command:
Set-ExecutionPolicy -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted
inside powershell navigate to folder where you downloaded the script and run it,
NOTE: update path where you downloaded the script in below code: [press enter for each command]
Code:
cd "C:\Users\YOUR_USERNAME\Downloads"
.\Reset-WindowsUpdate.ps1
Let script finish it's job, then set execution policy back to defaults:
Set-ExecutionPolicy -ExecutionPolicy Restricted

Step 5: Reboot system again and try updating.

Let us know how it goes or if you need help with the steps.

pmc3944

The issue you are having is happening due to either corrupt registry entries for drivers or corrupt drivers.
Windows update was not able to read some driver entries from registry needed to update devices.

Most likely audio component. (it doesn't matter if your audio works btw.)

It's not going to be easy to solve it, and if you want to give it a try then make sure you follow below steps carefully:

Step 1: First step is to uninstall bad software such as McAfee which you have.
You may need to search for McAfee removal tool on google because I was not able to find it if uninstallation doesn't go well. (this is normal for bloatware software such as McAfee)

Following is a list of software one should avoid to prevent unexpected system behavior:

1. Registry, disk or system cleaners
2. Driver download or updater tools
3. System tweak tools or system optimizers
4. Various malware/adware removal tools or scanners
5. Program/driver uninstallers
6. Browser extensions of questionable reputation
7. Various "fix" tools that claim to fix some problem

If you installed anything that matches the list above, please uninstall and reboot system.

Step 2: second step is to reboot system after all removal is done and then fully update your drivers in following order:
1. Chipset driver
2. reboot system
3. the rest of drivers
4. reboot system

Make sure to download drivers from original manufacturer site for your laptop or PC motherboard, not some random junk sites.

Step 3: At this point it's worth to clear old Windows update packages:
1. Press Windows key and type "disk cleanup" then run "Disk cleanup" program as Administrator
2. run it for C drive, wait to complete, select all check boxes (including Windows update) and perform cleanup.

Step 4: Reboot system and reset your Windows update:
1. Download PowerShell script from here:
https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Reset-WindowsUpdateps1-e0c5eb78
2. Open up PowerShell as Administrator and run this command:
Set-ExecutionPolicy -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted
inside powershell navigate to folder where you downloaded the script and run it,
NOTE: update path where you downloaded the script in below code: [press enter for each command]
Code:
cd C:\Users\YOUR_USERNAME\Downloads
.\Reset-WindowsUpdate.ps1
Let script finish it's job, then set execution policy back to defaults:
Set-ExecutionPolicy -ExecutionPolicy Restricted

Step 5: Reboot system again and try updating.

Let us know how it goes or if you need help with the steps.
This is great info! I will dive into this tonight after work. I am hesitant to uninstall Mcaffe only because this is not PC. I am trying to help a friend out with it.

This is great info! I will dive into this tonight after work. I am hesitant to uninstall Mcaffe only because this is not PC.
You should definitely uninstall it regardless if its' PC or not, not only McAfee but the rest of bloatware from the list if you have it before doing anything else.

This is my recommendation you do what ever you want, but unless you follow all the steps I gave you I won't be able to give new advices.

pmc3944

You should definitely uninstall it regardless if its' PC or not, not only McAfee but the rest of bloatware from the list if you have it before doing anything else.

This is my recommendation you do what ever you want, but unless you follow all the steps I gave you I won't be able to give new advices.
I def will. thank again for the info!!

pmc3944

Got Mcaffe uninstalled, and followed your steps, ultimately after the last reboot, I checked for updates and still get error messages. I did notice that when running the script I got the error below. Not sure if that helps you with next steps. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE HELP!
error.jpg

Annotation 2020-08-14 170415.jpg

wuaulct is not recognized because it was deprecated, the script is out of date.

I think your best bet is to reinstall system because it's likely corrupt, fixing it would be pain if not impossible.

Easy way is in place upgrade:
https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-10-repair-install-or-feature-update-using-the-iso.1235320

Slightly harder way is to perform clean install:
https://forums.techguy.org/threads/doing-a-completely-clean-reinstall-of-windows-10.1235377

In any case make sure to back up your data.

pmc3944

Thanks. I had tried this before, but I wanted to try again and follow the instructions on your link. Launching from within windows the 1st time, it did very well until it appeared it was finishing up and then it says the install failed (it did this the previous time i tried this was well). So I created a bootable USB....tried that way....it gets to a point then "undoes" the install and says it failed. Is my only option booting into USB linux, formatting, and trying an install that way? Sure hope not, but so be it, if so.

clean install means:

* booting Windows from USB
* formatting hard drive (or SSD) with disk part
* install

If that doesn't work please share error code or re-download Windows ISO to another good computer to make sure it's not corrupt.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online