1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows upgrade

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by roho, Feb 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. roho

roho Thread Starter

I have a PC with win98 FE. I also have a win98 SE CD. Can I install the 98SE over the 98FE without formatting. Thanks.

2. RSM123

RSM123

Hi,

You should indeedbe able to upgrade 98 to 98SE without formatting your H/D. If you put in the SE cd it should detect that you have a valid Win OS already and only take the files / dlls whatever it needs.

However just one tip that might save you a problem or two ...

Run Scandisk & Defrag first - and of course shutdown all non essential apps .... you don't want the whole process messed up by your A V Software suddenly running to update itself :eek: - Not that I would do something stupid like that myself :D :D Thats purely hypothetical :)

Seriously - I went from SE to ME and had a lot of probs at first but after doing the above it went ahead as it should.

Any problems - post back here.

RSM123.

3. roho

roho Thread Starter

I fell to say that the win98SE that I have is the Full Version and not a upgrade. Is your answer still the same. Sorry for not bringing that out in the first place.

4. jm100dm

jm100dm

5. roho

roho Thread Starter

Well, I ran ScanDisk and Defrag and put the windows 98 SE CD in and it said the CD contained a newer version of windows than was on my PC. Do you want to upgrade to the newer version. I clicked yes and the process started. Shortly a popup came and said I would have to purchase a win98 upgrade to upgrade. That sucks.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Roho:

I have upgraded several computers from Windows 98FE to 98SE without any problems. You might want to read my article, "Planning To Upgrade From Windows 95 To Windows 98SE?", before you get started. It explains some steps to follow which would also apply to your situation.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips:)

7. roho

roho Thread Starter

flavallee,
    I did just as your tips instructed and I had the same results as described earlier. I even did it twice to make sure I didn't miss anything. The only thing was there was nothing under the start\open\program\startup to move or delete. I guess I will have to format now with those file deleted,want I? Or is there something else I can do? Thanks.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119783

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice