1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows viewer problem

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by mowlawn, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mowlawn

mowlawn Thread Starter

Recently, when we look at any picture, windows viewer creates a slide show with all the temp files. This becomes very annoying when we try to attach a picture to an email and it tries to send every picture on the computer. We have not knowingly changed any settings. We have googled this problem and followed suggestions, reinstalled windows picture and fax viewer (nothing changed), turned it off (no longer could open any pictures), changed default ( same problem with finepix viewer and Quicktime. Any ideas how to stop the the slideshow?

2. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

Click on view,then on view as thumbnails,see if that works ....

3. mowlawn

mowlawn Thread Starter

Thanx for the reply, I changed to thumbs but it still adds every temp file and jpg.

4. telecom69

Tricky one this, there must be an option ticked somewhere to show as slideshow I would have thought, are the pictures being kept in My Pictures? ....

5. mowlawn

mowlawn Thread Starter

Yes, We 1st noticed it about a week ago when my with sent an e mail with 1 picture attachment and an hour later it was still sending. She stopped the email and clicked on the attachment and windows viewer came up with the slide show type screen and all these pictures from temp files. Now there everywhere in our folders. If we delete the pictures they come right back. This is not only happening with attachments but every picture we view these things are part of a slide show. I can't fiure out how to stop the slide show.

6. telecom69

This really is a puzzler,and has got me wondering why its happening, despite quite a bit of searching I have come up with nothing so far unfortunately,but I will keep looking, I did find this quote in another forum,suppose its worth a try ...

"Once the slide show begins, a toolbar appears on-screen. It provides controls to start, pause, advance, reverse, or stop a slide show. Alternatively, you can use the left and right arrow keys to move backwards and forwards, or click within the photo itself to advance. When you want to stop the slide show, click the Exit button on the toolbar, or simply press the ESC key"

About the only thing I can suggest at the moment is for you to create a new folder on your desktop and move all your pictures to there,at least that would eliminate the present folder as being the culprit ....

7. mowlawn

mowlawn Thread Starter

Sorry to take so long, had to go to the store. Putting them in a folder doesn't help because when I do things with the viewer it gathers stuff (advertisements, pictures, gif files, etc) and when you go to the picture the viewer Has them all there for the slide show and has placed them in the same file as the picture you wanted. Lots of trash, it's like a virus. I have run virus scans and registry fixer, I've now turned off windows viewer and am using fine pix viewer, from Fuji film, Runs the same. We've run Fine Pix for years without this. Go figure. Thanx for the help.

8. telecom69

You may well have something there when you said about a virus, perhaps its not a virus but some sort of Malware (malicious software) that has sneaked into your computer from somewhere ...I would suggest you now give Malwarebytes a run to see if that helps,as malware can/does cause all sorts of strange behaviour on computers as perhaps you may well know ...it certainly wouldnt hurt to give it a try,its used extensively in the security forums when they are solving problems,you can download it here http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html

Failing that solving the problem,when you have been on this site for a few days like I have,:)
    you get to know the people who know whats what with things, and I will try to sort someone out for their opinion on this situation .....

9. mowlawn

mowlawn Thread Starter

Thanx for the reply. I just got back from work and haven't had a chance to try it. I'll let you know what happens. Again thanx

10. Lucky5tar

Lucky5tar

Forgive me but I don't fully understand your problem...are you talking about Windows Picture/Fax viewer?

Can you not just open the email and then attach the picture file you need?

11. mowlawn

mowlawn Thread Starter

Recently we tried to send an email with a couple attachments, after 15 minutes we noticed it was still sending. We stopped the email and went to the send file in outlook. When we clicked on the paperclip instead of the list of attachents viewer came up as a slide show. Clicking the forward arrow after the pictures All the temp files came up. Pictures, ads, logos etc. To add to the mess these same temp files were imported into the My Pictures file. The only way we can stop this from happening is to delete the temp files before making attachments. Still though when we click the paperclip to preview before sending viewer still is set up as a slide show instead of just listing the attachments.

12. Lucky5tar

Lucky5tar

It sounds more like your email client is at fault. Which email program are you using?

13. mowlawn

mowlawn Thread Starter

Outlook express, with XP operating system. The problem is recent. I attached a word file last month with no problem. I've also tried restoring as far back as Feb with no change. We use Fix It 8 pro to check for viruses, malware and spyware but didn't turn up anything.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753680

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice