Solved Windows virus and threat protection not working

Jack12345529

Hey folks, I was trying to do a quick virus scan via the windows virus and threat protection but pressing "Quick Scan" does absolutely nothing.

When I click on "Protection History", the app closes.

I went to the "Scan options" and clicked on all 4 scan options but nothing happens.

Pressing "Check for updates" also does nothing.

When I go to "Manage ransomware protection", it says "Controlled folder access requires turning on Real-time protection".

I also noticed that the browser on the left is empty (That box where you can go to other settings).

Oh and when I go to Update & Security, then to windows security and "Open Windows Security", a blank page appears

Please help me out if you can, i'd really appreciate that.Screenshot (72).pngScreenshot (73).pngScreenshot (74).pngScreenshot (75).png

Last edited:
Go to Window Defender > Virus & Threat Protection > Virus & threat protection settings , Manage Settings> Is Real Time Protection turned on?

If it is not turned on, and you don't have another antivirus / antimalware active, then there is a high chance that you have been hacked. Go to Virus Removal forum and post a new thread asking for help.

DR.M

Malware Trainee
The last screenshot the User posted indicates that the Windows Defender Service is missing.

We can check this and if there is a problem, I can report this thread to be moved to the Virus & Other Malware Removal Forum.
  • Please download Farbar Service Scanner and save it on your Desktop.
  • Right click on the tool icon and run it as administrator.
  • Make sure all the options are checked.
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • It will create a log (FSS.txt) on your Desktop.
  • Copy and paste the log's content in your next reply.

Jack12345529

Thanks for your help lunarlander and DR.M but i luckily found a fix before your answers :) (reinstalling windows without removing any programs or personal files)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online