1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows virus won't let me open anything

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by kayjay, Sep 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kayjay

kayjay Thread Starter

I downloaded a pop up stopper, and I think it gave me a virus not 1 but 11 when I scanned it and I got about 1,000 emails saying (unable to read you message because it is a virus. I deleted the viruses but now windows won't let me open anything. The error is saying when I click on a icon for example( windows unable to find C:\program files\) someone please help

2. BillC

BillC

I'm not at all sure what is going on yet, but would suggest you do an online virus scan at TrendMicro's HouseCall and see if you do indeed have a virus. The returned mailings you are refering to I believe are coming from a virus not on your machine.

As to why things will not open, it could be you did pick up a virus anyway. Do the scan and see if it finds anything.

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Download the exefix08.inf and the regfile.inf files from this site to your desktop.

http://home.earthlink.net/~rmbox/Reticulated/Only_IE.html

Right click on each and select "install".

Get a copy of HijackThis:

http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

and follow instructions to post BOTH a copy of the Scanlog AND the Startuplist.

You will also probably need to download the repair.txt attachment in the Swen virus post pinned to the top of this forum and rename it repair.reg and run that after doing the above.

4. SAPrising

SAPrising

We have Win95 machine that file tehh.exe was infected. I cannot find this file on the other Win95 machines in house or on the original installation disks. Is this a real Win95 file? If so, would appreciate suggestions on obtaining a copy of this file. Yes, I know the system should be upgraded, but we are not always able to select our ancestors.
    Thanks
    Mike

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It's not a Win95 or any Windows version file. You should be able to delete it without further ado...

6. SAPrising

SAPrising

I did delete it with that thought. Now any program with a exe or com extent will not run. The registry has tehh.exe as the file to run when the exe or com is launched. Now I can't run those file types which means I cannot run an undelete program. I deleted the file from the command line as when I tried with windows explorer there was a file sharing violation..... should have been my clue.

TIA

Mike

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Did you try the exefix08 file mentioned above? For that one you must right click on it (after downloaded) and select "install".

There is a more complete verion: exefix08.com which would be preferable. That one you just double click to run.

8. SAPrising

SAPrising

Thanks! That did it. I had tried yesterday to download those files but I kept getting the popup wanting the tehh.exe file. I shut the machine down overnight. After receiving your message this morning, I booted and was able to download and install the fix the errant machine.

You guys continually amaze me with your insight and patience!

Thanks

Mike

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Excellent. Ye Olde Reticulated Toys still comes through when we need it. You're most welcome.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166144

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice