1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Vista 64 bit dual with XP.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by ohfaht, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ohfaht

ohfaht Thread Starter

My Windows Home 32 bit computer crashed and I bought a Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit to replace it not realizing potential compatibility issues. (OEM installed OS no disk, no recovery disk came with computer).
    1. I would like to purchase XP 32 bit OS and install it on a reformatted 2nd HD which I installed in the new computer already. I can't find a guide anyplace to help me install this that doesn't require re-partioning the OEM HD or that doesn't require the Vista CD.
    2. Since I have a device (SkyCaddie Golf GPS) that is not compatible with 64 Bit system and I use it regularly, I need a 32 bit OS.
    Can anyone make recommendations and provide me a solution?

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Have you read through the threads at the TOP of the Vista listing?
    There you will find MOST of what you need to do.

3. ohfaht

ohfaht Thread Starter

Dave,
    Thanks I did read them and everything I read or was referred to through the threads talked about "shrinking the Volume" on my HD and not using a separate HD. So I was looking for some help installing XP 32 on a Vista 64 Bit Computer using a separate HD. Also, in deciding what XP to buy, there are versions out there that require installation on a "Clean" hard drive. If I can't figure out how to install on a separate HD will I be able to install that version on my Vista HD?
    Thanks for the feedback

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Most "Custom" installs will ask which drive you want to install the OS on.

5. ohfaht

ohfaht Thread Starter

Dave,
    Thanks for the feedback. I have located a procedure and once I have completely absorbed it, I will install the XP OS, I am going on a trip so have decided to wait until I get back to do this, since I want to focus that task alone. I will let you know how I do in a couple of weeks

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755156

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice