1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Vista and 7 usb stops working

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by fellwock, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fellwock

fellwock Thread Starter

Hi. Happy New Year! I have been having this problem with my daughter's Lenovo Y550 system since it was new. I just upgraded it to Windows 7 hoping it would fix the problem, but no luck. Here's what's happening:

we plug in a sandisk thumb drive to either usb port and it registers fine in device manager. When I plug in either an iPhone 3gs or a Seagate FreeAgent external drive, the computer doesn't know it's there. I have scoured the internet and tried several things including, reinstalling iTunes, deinstalling all of the ports and hubs under Universal Bus support in device manager and letting drivers reload on startup, booting from the device menu (PF12 on startup), The USB drives have been replaced, the iPhone has been replaced, etc. Here's the really strange thing: sometimes, one of the above will work and the devices will be clearly recognized. I can plug in and out..no problem. Once the system is either restarted, cold started, or hibernated, the devices are once again not recognized. I don't mean it doesn't know what they are, but rather doesn't even know I have plugged anything in!

We originally thought it was hardware and replaced drives. Then thought it was Vista, took off service pack 2 (which supposedly had a lot of problems), finally upgraded to Windows 7. Nothing has gotten any better.

It almost seems like something is getting overlaid during the startup after it's been fixed by one of the efforts above.

Do you have any idea what could be going on?

2. Lance1

Lance1

Try this post by Elvandil I have see good results on other posts from his recommendations here.

3. fellwock

fellwock Thread Starter

Thanks. I've done what he indicated (removing the drivers under device manager) and it did work for me k\once, but then on restart, the usbs went back to not recognizing some of the devices. It's almost as if the high-speed drivers are wiped out and the usbs will only work as 1.1, thus not recognizing the newer devices.

I appreciate any ideas or directions...I'm stumped!

4. huggie54

huggie54

hiya,just a thought look in bios and check that the usb 2.0 or high speed or fast transfer is enabled,another thing i read somewhere about not enough power is getting to the ports,

5. fellwock

fellwock Thread Starter

Thanks. Everything looks enabled in BIOS. I can't see where it specifically calls it usb2.0, though. I'll check in to the power issue. Thanks.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972215

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice