1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Vista and Micro Outlook 2007

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by FinGaspard36, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FinGaspard36

FinGaspard36 Thread Starter

I had changed the title of my user account. When I go to open up outlook it give me an error saying the path is corrupt, etc. The path to the program still shows the previous title of my user account. How to do fix this so that I have not lost the info stored in that program, basically getting it to come up as i had it but under the new profile title??

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Retired Moderator

Hi FinGaspard36

Outlook probably created a new default folder to store its files.
    Start Outlook:
    File > Data File Management > Data Files tab > Open Folder button
    This will show you the folder that Outlook 2007 is currently using.

Locate your original .pst file and move it to the new folder then reconnect it to Outlook:
    File > Open > Outlook Data File
    Browse to the location of the .pst file and select it. The Personal Folders (.pst file) should then appear in Outlook.
    Is Outlook showing any other Personal Folders?
    You may need to tell Outlook that the Personal Folders you are reconnecting is the default Delivery Location.
    File > Data File Management > Data Files tab
    If not already marked, Default, highlight the Personal Folders and click the: Set as Default button above

Let us know if that works for you or not.

3. FinGaspard36

Not sure If that will work now. When i had first tried to fix this, i had come accross a field/option that was asking if i wanted to copy over old version or file, etc...and so i selected that, but had stopped it midway and i noticed the size of the file and didnt want the extra memory used up do to that. But later, when trying to resolve this, i had stumbled upon that copied or semi copied file, and told it to to do something, and i hate that I cant remember what it was that i agreed to have it do. but now i get 2 errors.....the 1st showing up with a icon and it states that "an extention of a file failed to initalize. "cannot open file: etend.dat. The file may not exist, you may not have permission to open it, or it may be open in another program. Rick-click the folder that contains the file, and then click properties to check your permissions for the folder. You don't have appropriate permission to perform this operation." The second...." cannot open your dfault e-mail folders. Erros have been detected in the file C:\Users\....\AppaData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst. Quit Outlook and all mail-enables applications, and then use the Inbox repair tool (Scanpst.ext) to diagnose and repair errors in the file. For more information about the Inbox repair too, see Help." I have tried both suggestions..but none work. There has to be way around this or to fix this. Can anyone help? All advise is greatly appreciated!!!!

4. EAFiedler

Well, as a matter of fact, I am trying to help you. :confused:

Will Outlook 2007 open at all?
    If so, are there ANY Personal Folders in Outlook.

You may need to create a new Profile in Outlook 2007, which will also create a fresh new Personal Folders for that Profile.
    Once that is done, do a Search for the other Personal Folders (.pst file) and then reconnect the original .pst file to Outlook.

How to create a new e-mail profile in Outlook 2007 and in Outlook 2003

Since I can't see what you are seeing, I need your answers to my questions to better understand what is happening.

5. FinGaspard36

Yes, it will open, but barely. The program file begins to open up, to which you can see the basic template/settings, but then those two error messages pop up, preventing me from going any further or selecting any options or categories that i want to utilize.

6. EAFiedler

Let's start with creating a fresh new profile for Outlook 2007.
    The new Outlook profile is created using the Mail icon in the Control Panel while Outlook remains closed.

This links shows the steps for creating a new mail profile:

How to create a new e-mail profile in Outlook 2007 and in Outlook 2003
    If at any time Outlook asks you to Import messages or account configurations from a different profile, answer No.

Once you have the new Outlook profile created, set Outlook to either open using the new profile or to prompt you for the profile you want Outlook to open.
    Then start Outlook using the new profile.

Let us know how that goes.

7. FinGaspard36

Ok, that is done. New e-mail profile created. the old one, i never used for e-mail. Primary for the calander and for the contacts. So that, I guess, is the data, that I would like to obtain from the old profile without, if possible, a dublication of data, using up more space. I did set the new profile as default, so Outlook does now open up fully. I went ahead of connecting it to my main private e-mail account. Are there dangers in doing that? but mostly, how do i get the data from the old profile to this new one?

8. EAFiedler

Dangers in recreating your e-mail account in the new Outlook profile? No. Is there some specific type of danger you are thinking of?

In the new profile for Outlook 2007:
    File > Data File Management > Data Files tab > Open Folder button
    This is the default folder Outlook will be using.

Do a Search for the extension: .pst
    Any .pst file that is located in the Search, that is not located in the Outlook Default folder you identified above, will need to be moved to that folder. Moving the .pst file(s) to the Outlook Default folder will give Outlook a clear path/directory to the .pst file. Outlook will no longer be hampered trying to locate the .pst file in the original path, that contained the old user name.

After moving the .pst file(s) to the Outlook Default folder, reconnect the .pst file(s), one at a time if there is more than one:
    Select the .pst file you want to connect to Outlook 2007.
    The Personal Folders (.pst file) should then appear in Outlook 2007.

Let us know what happens.

9. FinGaspard36

how do i move the .pst file to outlook default. When under the data file mangment folder under the new profile, then cick the data files tab, it shows one listing of personal folders....however...looking over, i am seeing the old profile name listed as user. So anyway, i continued to the next step, opening the folder button...and i see four .pst files... 2 from march ... and 2 from april with today being one of them and with todays data being the largest in size, but i suspect that is from using the new profile in linking it with my yahoo account. One of the .pst files has a "last sharing" title and is from march, and I suspect that is what i am looking for. But anyway, how do i move each .pst file over to the new profile, merging the info? The dangers i was refering too, was hackers, spam,etc, now that I have connected my outlook with my yahoo account.

10. EAFiedler

The most recent .pst file will have been created when you created the new profile for Outlook, look at the folder directory path.
    Drag and drop the other .pst files that are in other folders into that folder.

Your Outlook Default folder, where Outlook stores its files will probably look like this:
    C:\Users\User Account Name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

Then connect the .pst files to Outlook.
    Select the .pst file you want to connect to Outlook 2007.
    The Personal Folders (.pst file) should then appear in Outlook 2007.​

After you have all the Personal Folders (.pst files) in Outlook, you can make the original Personal Folders the Default Delivery location.
    File > Data File Management > Data Files
    Select the original Personal Folders and click the Set as Default button.
    You will need to close and restart Outlook for that change to take effect.​

Folders can then be Moved or Copied to the default Personal Folders from the other Personal Folders.
    If you decide to eliminate all but one Personal Folder (.pst file) from Outlook, the others can be removed by right clicking the top/Root folder of the Personal Folders and selecting: Close "Name of Personal Folders".
    The Personal Folders will disappear from Outlook but the .pst file will still remain in the Outlook folder.

• As a side note, it is much easier to differentiate between Personal Folders if they have different names. You can rename the Personal Folders (without the side effects of renaming Windows User Accounts ;) ) by right clicking the top/Root folder of the Personal Folders and selecting:
      Properties for "Name of Personal Folder" > Advanced button
      Then change the name of the Personal Folders in the: Name: field.

• Another point to bring up, if you have selected: Leave a copy of messages on server and you make the original Personal Folders the Default Delivery Location (where your mail is delivered) the same messages will be downloaded into the new Default Location.

Let us know if you need clarification on any of the steps.
    It may seem a bit daunting at first but once you go through the steps it will make sense.

11. FinGaspard36

Hey, what I'm noticing, is that even though i had changed my user account in windows vista, it still is showing the old user account name, and the new name is not even showing up. I unchecked user account control, making it off, do you think that would help. I just found it strange that the new name is not reflected elsewhere.

12. EAFiedler

It has been awhile since I have renamed a Windows User Account. Changing the User Account name does not change the name for the C:\Users directories. The only sure way is to create an entirely new Windows User Account.
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/122011-user-account-name.html

I just tested changing the name on my Windows User Account and started Outlook, it did not give me any errors.
    If you change the Windows User Account back to the original name, will Outlook open, using the original Outlook profile, without giving you an error about a corrupt file path?

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914102

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice