Windows Vista and Windows 7 Dual Boot Problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bigioale

Hello everyone.

I have Windows 7 Ultimate, not the beta, the real thing. I have Vista on my Hard Disk taking 465 GB (almost my entire hard disk) with Linux Ubuntu taking only 9MB (used Wubi Linux Installer). I want to shrink my main partition to be able to install Windows 7. The smallest I have tried to shrink it by is 40GB (it says I can shrink it up to 131GB), (using Vista Disk Management) but it says there isn't enough room to be able to perform this task. I have never shrunk my own hard disk before and my disk is formatted in NTFS file system. Does it matter that I have virtual OS running virtually on my computer using Sun Virtual Box? I have about 11 on Virtual Box. XD Back to partitioning my hard disk, the layout for them is basic and it says they are healthy, It just wont shrink it. I really want to dual boot Windows 7 and I only get one install remember? Can anyone please offer some suggestions? Thanks,

Bigioale

DoubleHelix

Banned
You have a legitimate copy of Windows 7 that can only be installed one time and got it two days before the official launch? Color me suspect.

Aside from that, you can only shrink what Vista will allow. If you can't shrink the system any further, then that's all you get. You could try a third-party partition utility, but obviously you'd want to back everything up first.

bigioale

I have a Windows 7 Action Pack disk, the Microsoft Partners one. It has 10 uses on it but I am only allowed to use 1. That's how I have Windows 7. It says I can shrink up to 131GB. Why would it say that if its not true? I have no problem with doing a backup, but could I lose all my Vista files doing that? Any good programs for that you could reccomend? Should I just install it virtually? One last piece of info, I had used almost 1/2 of my hard disk, then after I tried to shrink it, it says I've only used 1/3. Any idea why?

If there are files located near the partition boundary, Disk Management has problems moving the partition past those files. You can jump through hoops involving turning off hibernation and page files and then defragging, or just use a good, third-party bootable partitioning CD to do the job.

Partitioning Tools-->

Free:

Dr.Freeware Boot CD (also has file recovery, disk imaging and cloning)
EASEUS Partition Master (Vista-compatible)
Partition Wizard (free home and business editions)
Paragon Partition Manager 8.5-- PPM Special Edition serial and free registration
CloneZilla GParted LiveCD (Complete partitioning and drive imaging/restoration tools)
SystemRescueCD
Gparted LiveCD
Parted Magic
Vista Recovery Disk (Shrink, expand, create, delete partitions)
XP Recovery Console CD image (Create and delete partitions with diskpart.exe)

Commercial:

O&O Partition Manager 2 (Vista-compatible)
Paragon Partition Manager
Paragon Hard Disk Manager
Terabyte BootIt NG
Acronis Disk Director
V-Com (Avanquest) Partition Commander
EASEUS Partition Manager

If there are files located near the partition boundary, Disk Management has problems moving the partition past those files. You can jump through hoops involving turning off hibernation and page files and then defragging, or just use a good, third-party bootable partitioning CD to do the job.

Partitioning Tools-->

Free:

Dr.Freeware Boot CD (also has file recovery, disk imaging and cloning)
EASEUS Partition Master (Vista-compatible)
Partition Wizard (free home and business editions)
Paragon Partition Manager 8.5-- PPM Special Edition serial and free registration
CloneZilla GParted LiveCD (Complete partitioning and drive imaging/restoration tools)
SystemRescueCD
Gparted LiveCD
Parted Magic
Vista Recovery Disk (Shrink, expand, create, delete partitions)
XP Recovery Console CD image (Create and delete partitions with diskpart.exe)

Commercial:

O&O Partition Manager 2 (Vista-compatible)
Paragon Partition Manager
Paragon Hard Disk Manager
Terabyte BootIt NG
Acronis Disk Director
V-Com (Avanquest) Partition Commander
EASEUS Partition Manager

bigioale

I wish these programs would work but they dont. DR. Freeware wont load, Easeus wont download, Partition Wizard works fine untill I try to apply my changes then it says it wants to restart because my hard disk is in use so it restarts and does nothing. Parted Magic and other Linux boot CD's dont seem to like my computer as I tried one and It didn't work. I dont have XP so that rules XP Recovery out, and I dont want to pay for anything so Commercial ones are out. Any others that work?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online