1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Vista and Word 2003

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by helen_elizabeth, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. helen_elizabeth

helen_elizabeth Thread Starter

I have just got Windows Vista and installed Office 2003. However, Vista doesn't recognise that .doc files are associated with MS Word and will only open them in Notepad. I have been through the Open With... panel many times, taken it to \Program Files x86\MS Office\OFFICE11\winword.exe, but this doesn't get put in the Open With.. panel.

Any ideas??? Although I can start Word and then open the files that way, it doesn't make it easy, and I have problems opening files attached to e-mails.

Strangely, Word is associated with .wbk (Word backup) files.

I've just upgraded from Office XP, where it all worked fine.

Thanks in advance - Helen

2. gurutech

gurutech

highlight a .DOC file, then hold the left SHIFT key and right-click on the file. Choose "Open With", then select MS Word from the list and make sure the checkmark to "Always Use This Program" is checked.

3. helen_elizabeth

Thanks for the reply, Gurutech. However, I have tried this. MS Word doesn't appear in the list of available programs, but I have found Winword.exe, which I think is the executable for Word. I click it, but it doesn't 'stick', and when I return it does't appear and doesn't open the application.

This worked fine when I was using Word XP - I think this is a bug or incompatibility between Vista and Office 2003. I was wondering if anyone else had come across it and found a way round it.

4. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Uninstall and re-install.
    Or repair.
    You won't lose your files.

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

One thing that can make things go a bit easier if you need to reinstall again is to copy the source files to your hard drive, edit the setup.ini file with your product ID and then install from the hard drive. Then at least you don't need to keep getting out your CD and you only enter that long product string once. In fact I often make a backup CD with that changed install source code as well.

6. helen_elizabeth

What I did in the end is make a copy of WINWORD.EXE in the same directory and associated that with .doc files. That works!

Thanks for the suggestions.

Helen

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542532

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice