1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Vista Basic, WONT UPDATE :(

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by JohnoftheDead, Apr 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JohnoftheDead

JohnoftheDead Thread Starter

I have been trying to figure this out for DAYS now. I can't seem to do it though... When automatic update runs, or when I try to manually install updates, I get error code 80240016 "Windows is currently installing other updates"
    I have narrowed it down to a problem with Windows Defender. For some reason, it won't update. This is really irritating, because when I go to restart, or shut down my computer, it will say "Installing Update 1 of 1" or something of that nature... It will do that forever. I have to manually power cycle my computer to restart now. When I just try to update Windows Defender, I get the same 0x80240016 error code. Like I said, I have searched for a solution to this problem everywhere, and I am down to the last straw. I don't want to format my HD. If somebody could PLEASE help me find a solution to my problem, it would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

Personally I think Windows Defender is a big piece of crap and the first thing I did was disable it in Services so I could load something that works. I use Superantispyware....

3. JohnoftheDead

Hmm... Do you know of any way that I can delete it out of the operating system? I tried, and it wouldn't let me.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

You cannot "delete" it but you can disable it. In Control Panel, Admin Tools, Services then open Windows Defender and" disable" it hit apply and done.

5. JohnoftheDead

yeah, but when I do that, it doesn't fix my original problem of not being able to update, because it still tries to update Windows Defender even if I am not using it. Oh well, I am gonna try to upgrade to Vista Home Premium... Hopefully that works, and thanks for the help.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Upgrading to Home Premium isn't going to do a thing...clean install well sure.
    It will not update if it is disabled. Did you hit apply after choosing disable.
    Is this an upgrade from XP or did you buy it with Vista?

7. JohnoftheDead

Yeah, I hit apply. Now it tries to prepare the install by "creating a restore point" and it is just stuck there. This is beginning to become really frustrating. I hate vista. I went to System Restore, and it says it is not functioning correctly on this system. I get error code 0x8004230f "The Shadow Copy Provider had an unexpected error why trying to process the specified operation."

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

When your system is screwed up, doing an upgrade certainly won't help as I said before.

9. JohnoftheDead

yeah... So I tried to do the Acer eRecovery, and it wont even boot the hidden system partition. I am pissed. I think I am gonna have to call acer, and have them send me the discs. They should have just included them with the computer that I bought, but they didn't :(

10. bluedwarf

bluedwarf

Hi, have you got any further? I ask because Im having exactly the same problem and I too have Vista basic. I cant run windows update, I get an error code of 8002704 and this translates to "service not started" but what service does it refer to? I had XP services sussed but Vista differs so I don't know what service if any to enable. Vista was pre-installed on this pc not an upgrade btw

11. Yamcom

Yamcom

I've just had the same problem but I've fixed it.
    Just go to Start and in the search bar type "sfc /scannow" without the commas.
    It'll take some time to fix any errors once it's done just run wondows update.
    Let us know how you go.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/562622

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice