1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Vista /black screen

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by elainelp57, Jun 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. elainelp57

elainelp57 Thread Starter

The computer turns on. goes through the microsoft opening then goes black.. New monitor, so I don't think it is that.. I tried to put it in safe mode, normal mode, won't open up .. This started when we had trouble with the internet. I lost my internet on that computer and it would not start up.. The internet worked on my other computers. Everything was fine before this happened..
    I cannot get it open. so I cannot check anything out..

2. BPCS

BPCS

Do you have a Windiws disc? If so boot from it, and choose repair my computer. Windows 7 and Vista will go thru an automatic routine where it will try to fix the booting problem. Let us know if you've got a disc and if the automatice repair works, if not we will try to get a little more advanced.

3. elainelp57

No disc.. I bought the computer through ebay and they did not send one.

4. BPCS

BPCS

Sounds like a windows problem so the windows disc would be my first suggestion to attemp a repair, without one you are somewhat limited in what you can do to try to repair windows. It could still be a hardware problem but probably not. You can test your HDD and you RAM using the www.ultimatebootcd.com there should be instructions there on how to use it. This will rule out the most likely hardware pieces to fail.

5. Pentium1996

Pentium1996

Does it show a cursor on the screen?

6. elainelp57

You can see the mouse yes!

7. BPCS

BPCS

I really think you've got a windows problem, try F8 on startup and see if you can get the safe boot menu. If you can I suggest choosing 'repair my computer'. Let the automatic repair function finish and see if that solves it. If it doesn't go back to repair my computer and from the repair menu (after the auto repair) you can try a system restore, and if that fails you could even try a factory restore from that menu if avail. If you need to save your data we will tell you how to do that before a factory restore attempt.

8. Pentium1996

Pentium1996

What brand is the Computer?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1055610