1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Vista boots to black screen with mouse only

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by WindowsNonexpert, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WindowsNonexpert

WindowsNonexpert Thread Starter

Basically as far as I can see, I am experiencing the exact same problem described in this thread: http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/781723-vista-black-screen-cursor.html which unfortunately does not seem to end with a clear solution.

The first incidence of the problem was a spontaneous restart during boot, which caused the subsequent boot to go into the Startup Repair Console. I ran the "Fix problems" option and it performed a disk check, then claimed it had fixed the problem and would reboot. Subsequent reboots result in the black screen with mouse cursor only, with no interaction possible.

Safe mode, Safe mode (command prompt) and Safe mode with networking all exhibit the same behaviour (except with lower screen resolution). Manually entering the Repair Console from the F8 startup menu works, but no problems can be found using the Repair problems option.

Other things I have tried which made no difference:

• Last Known Good configuration
    • Removing all USB and network cables before boot (except for keyboard, which I need to select Windows from the boot menu)
    • Running chkdsk /F from the command prompt in the Repair Console (no errors were found).
    • Downloading the Vista Recovery CD and booting off it, then running the Repair Console from here (same result as running Repair Console from the HD)
    • Testing memory with memtest86+ (no errors).
    • Resetting BIOS to default values.
    • Using the Repair Console to revert to a System Restore Point (no system restore points are available)

Other than using the recovery partition to wipe the entire HD (including my Linux partitions), I am not sure what else to try.

2. fosormic

fosormic

I just ran into the same situation, today itself. I didn't see it happen but someone plugged a 27 in 60HZ refresh-rate-requiring monitor into a laptop which didn't support such mode.

Apparently, the computer blue-screened and rebooted, throwing a blue screen and rebooting ad infinitum.

I ran the repair, same as you did; ran the same diagnostics and no restore points either (have a 9/2010 system image available -not on the system but from a backup-, and no restore points just like you. I'd prefer not to go that back in time).

Last Known Good reverts the registry to the way it was when the system last succesfully booted *AND* there was a succesful logon. If you had auto-logon enabled, then it is useless (I think this laptop did...). Anyways, didn't do a thing for me.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/101790

-------------

After a few hours of different attempts, still nothing.

Using the repair console:

• Ran SFC. No files are invalid.
    • Manually copied the old registry files (from the regbackup directory) into the registry directory (the repair console is a separate Windows instance, so the one being repaired is "offline". No go. This probably screwed the system, maybe permanently - have backups of the registry files anyway.

The files are on C:\Windows\System32\config, but I seriously advise against messing with them unless you know exactly what you are doing.

After both things, now I am totally clueless.... No registry issues, no system files changed... I know it has to do with the video card or monitor driver.... That's all.

There is plenty of threads on this all over and spanning back to Windows XP, and no common solution.

Researching more...tomorrow.

3. WindowsNonexpert

WindowsNonexpert Thread Starter

I have now also tried unplugging the SATA DVD drives, and unplugging the thing at the front with all of the card readers and extra USB ports, and there is still no difference.

One thing's for sure though, this is absolutely the very last time I buy a Dell or any other large manufacturer that cannot be bothered to provide proper Windows installation media. If I had the Vista install disk I could probably reinstall without needing to wipe the entire system, which is apparently what Dell think is an acceptable solution.

EDIT: Scratch that, I've found the Vista reinstallation DVD. Presumably it is going to wipe my Linux partitions as well so I should backup everything first.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice