1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Vista BSOD when Booting

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by DavisG, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DavisG

DavisG Thread Starter

Hello. This is my first post on this forum. The reason I have joined this community is to seek help for a serious issue related to my Desktop PC.
    I own a HP Pavilion a6530f Desktop PC that runs on Vista Home Premium.
    The BIOS of this PC is Phoenix Technologies, LTD 5.13 5/2/2008. This PC contains an OEM motherboard.

So recently after several driver installations for my PC gaming (mainly graphics, audio), and even before these updates, my computer received multiple BSODS such as "Bad_Pool_Call", "Memory Management", or simple "Your BIOS is not ACPI compliant", which contained the following
    Stop 0x000001E ( 0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFA6000DD460B, 0x0000000000, 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF)
    ecache.sys - Address FFFFFA6000DD460B base at FFFFFA6000DCC000 Datestamp 49e02c52

I have consulted my computer teacher at my school, and he believes that my computer has serious hardware problems, but does not know exactly how to solve these issues. Because he is not obligated to help me solve this issue, I have turned to this community for possible help. I have considered the possibility that I may have to update my BIOs, but HP does not supply BIOS updates for computer that have been released for over one year. I am high school student with little to no experience in computers. I really need help to solve this issue.

Additional info :
    Sometimes, as I boot my computer, BSODS appear before windows successfully launches. When this happens, if I attempt to reboot the computer again, windows does not load onto the screen at all. I also have problems running the said PC into any type of safe mode, as it either freezes during loading the files, or receives another BSOD. The computer ,however, sometimes manages to load windows successfully without a BSOD.

I located HP's database for BIOS updates but the problem is, they only provide the update name, and not the version of BIOS the updates are for.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/

Not sure which update is safe.
    Again, my BIOS version is Phoenix LTD 5.13.
    SMBIOS 2.4

Please help. The computer now REPEATEDLY receives BSODS whenever I try and turn it on.
    It reaches the point where the screen is loading windows, and a BSOD appears titled
    "Memory Management".
    Prior to these repeated BSODS, I received a bsod that was headed "Page Fault in Non Page Area".
    I have no experience with computing besides the very basics. I really need to solve this problem.

I would love to receive some help.
    If any additional info related to the computer is required, please ask. Thanks in advance!

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

As you are recieving Memory Management errors then the chances are fairly high that you have a faulty RAM stick. This is highly unlikely to be fixed by a Bios upgrade.

In your PC you would normally have two or more RAM sticks which you need to find. Remove all but one of them and then boot the computer and see how well it runs, if it remains the same then swap the sticks. Continue this until you have run the PC on each stick individually. You may find that only one of the sticks causes the crashes.

Make sure you disconnect the PC from the power supply and earth your hands before touching anything inside the case.

Let us know how it goes.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

I wouldn't update the BIOS just yet. It's too dangerous to do frivolously. Every computer since around 2000 has been ACPI-compliant, so the error may be an error.

STOP 0x0000001E: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED is almost always RAM-related.

Turn off the ReadyBoost service for now. Though ecache.sys will still load and it may not help, it is also possible that by not using the service that error might stop. The problem could also be corruption or failure of whatever drive you have set up for ReadyBoost, if any.

MemScope (Floppy and CD images.)
    Roadkil's RAM Test
    Microsoft Memory Test (floppy or CD ISO image)
    Memtest86

If you have enough memory sticks, you can test them by removing one at a time and see if the problem disappears.

If you are running Vista or 7, tap F8 on boot and choose the memory diagnostic, or if you can boot up, go to Start > Search and type:

mdsched.exe

Choose to run a memory diagnostic on next boot. Or, you can boot from the DVD and run it from there.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the support site for the HP Pavilion a6530f desktop - which was manufactured in May 2008.

It does not list a BIOS update. And like Elvandil said, there's no reason to update the BIOS if it's NOT going to correct an issue that you're having. A bad or failed BIOS update will leave you with an expensive doorstop.

Just in case you need it, you can purchase the recovery disc kit here for that desktop.

---------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027162

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice