Windows Vista doesn't see Win xp pd

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bonty

My windows xp computer can connect to the other computer in my network with no problems but windows vista doesn't even see them and I am needing to connect to a printer on my windows xp computer. Please help me, thanks.

cwwozniak

Chuck
Hello bonty, and welcome to TSG.

I am kinda new to Vista myself and had a similar problem. You may have Network Discovery turned off on your Vista computer.

Here is some general help from the MS web site with a link to setting Network Discovery:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/5723d061-b884-40da-b5e7-94a55f6fcead1033.mspx

EDIT:
Try downloading and installing LLTP (Link Layer Topology Protocol) on your XP machines..
Forgot about LLTP. Had to install that on our XP machines a long while ago when we first got the notebook with Vista on it.

Had to go through the Network Discovery settings just recently when I switched from a wireless to wired connection for use at home.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Time to debunk the LLTP myth. It has nothing to do with actual networking, it just allows Vista to show XP computers in it's "eye candy" Network Map. It has no effect on any networking issues.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online