1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Vista Ethernet Issues

Discussion in 'Networking' started by NeedVistaHelp2, Aug 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NeedVistaHelp2

NeedVistaHelp2 Thread Starter

Hello, for the past 2 days I have been trying so hard to connect to browse the web.
    I have an old preowned Windows Vista desktop. When i got the computer it had data on it from the previous owner. I couldnt connect to wireless internet so I used an Ethernet cable and it worked automatically, i was connected and all i did was plug the cable into the computer and router. Easy.

I decided to factory reset it, and now it wont do anything. It says that I am connected, but internet explorer continues to say its unable to load the page. I have watched countless videos and read articles, a bunch of stuff under properties and cmd prompt or whatever, it continues to say "Network Access: Local and Internet"

From a bunch of googling research, I dont see anyone with the same issue as me, there are some articles about "Network Access: Local Only" and they dont work.

Im starting to lose hope, please help- ill answer any further questions and provide more details.
    Again, completly wiped of all previous data. I even deleted McAfee cause of some youtube comment- everything lol...

Thanks a bunch in advance

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Sounds like you need drivers installed for the network hardware.

What is the exactly model of this computer?

That said, you really shouldn't be using Vista these days, it's not secure or being updated anymore. Most current browser do not work on it, and most current programs do not support it. You'd be better off trying a Linux distro like Ubuntu or buying Windows 10.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Should have uninstalled it. Try doing so now. Then run the McAfee Removal Tool. If still not working Restart the computer and run the Removal Tool again.

4. NeedVistaHelp2

its an XPS420, and my dad just got it for free im just trying to use it for fun, i have a windows 10

and i need drivers despite it working before the reset?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    When you reinstall Windows you remove all the drivers, so yeah you need drivers after reinstalling the operating system.

W Here did Windows 10 come from ? You said it had Vista.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If that's a Dell XPS 420 desktop, advise us what the exact 7-character "service tag/serial" number on it is.

According to its support site, it has downloadable drivers only for Windows XP 32-bit and Windows Vista 32/64-bit.

It appears to have an Intel 825xx gigabit ethernet device.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  7. NeedVistaHelp2

No i have 2 computers, a main windows 10 and this vista im just playing around with for fun

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  9. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Also there are no browsers that support Vista so going on the internet with an unpatched browser isn't really wise.

10. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    To add to what Liz said.
    Mozilla Firefox 52.9.0 ESR is the only up-to-date browser that supports Windows Vista SP2.
    However, it will no longer be kept up-to-date after August 2018 - this month.

---------------------------------------------------------------

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214914

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice