1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Vista Firewall

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by GoJoAGoGo, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GoJoAGoGo

GoJoAGoGo Thread Starter

First Name:
    Joe
    Here's the complete article:
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Berlind/?p=331&tag=nl.r25189

2. Compiler

Compiler

Good article... Again... why are people paying for such junk? $250? $400?

Never Trust an M$ firewall anyways... I love this part as to why M$ made the fireall OPEN (why even bother having a firewall?) "Microsoft's explanation for its decision has been that having to walk through the many wizard-driven pop-ups that would occur shortly after the first time Vista gets installed would be a poor out-of-the-box experience and that users would become de-sensitized to the prompts."

Er... what about the UAC? Every day... same thing "YES - let program run" over and over again. UAC will only end up being disabled... so much for "the most secured Windows yet!"...

Need to WARN PEOPLE - Download the latest ZoneAlarm or other firewall to protect their systems.

3. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

Since the introduction of XP, I have disabled the MS Firewall and used my own sources. On advice, and through internet browsing, I only use my router firewall. To my knowledge, this has not caused any attcks on my computer.

4. Compiler

Compiler

I actually use both and recommend both.... Router firewall and a software firewall such as ZoneAlarm (free version) - as it can catch things and let ya know about it...

One way of locating junkware too.... like "Hey, this mouse software wants to check for updates Y/N" click no, locate software, disable updates.

5. GoJoAGoGo

GoJoAGoGo Thread Starter

First Name:
    Joe
    I also disabled my Windows XP Firewall the same day I got XP. I use a Sygate Personal Firewall plus a D-Link Router Firewall. The Router does make a big difference for security. I used the Sygate Personal Firewall alone for a short while and would always get a warning of "someone is scanning your computer", since I added the D-Link Router I haven't gotten that particular warning.

No plans on upgrading this PC to Vista ... ;)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541910

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice