Windows Vista Firewall

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

GoJoAGoGo

Joe
David Berlind - ZDNet said:
With most personal firewalls (and network firewalls), an outbound connection is only allowed when the firewall wall has been programmed with a rule that allows it. That's good. But, with Windows Vista's firewall, it works the other way around. All outbound communications are allowed permanently until a rule has been created to explicitly block it.
Here's the complete article:
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Berlind/?p=331&tag=nl.r25189

Good article... Again... why are people paying for such junk? $250? $400?

Never Trust an M$ firewall anyways... I love this part as to why M$ made the fireall OPEN (why even bother having a firewall?) "Microsoft's explanation for its decision has been that having to walk through the many wizard-driven pop-ups that would occur shortly after the first time Vista gets installed would be a poor out-of-the-box experience and that users would become de-sensitized to the prompts."

Er... what about the UAC? Every day... same thing "YES - let program run" over and over again. UAC will only end up being disabled... so much for "the most secured Windows yet!"...

Need to WARN PEOPLE - Download the latest ZoneAlarm or other firewall to protect their systems.

uhaligani

Since the introduction of XP, I have disabled the MS Firewall and used my own sources. On advice, and through internet browsing, I only use my router firewall. To my knowledge, this has not caused any attcks on my computer.

I actually use both and recommend both.... Router firewall and a software firewall such as ZoneAlarm (free version) - as it can catch things and let ya know about it...

One way of locating junkware too.... like "Hey, this mouse software wants to check for updates Y/N" click no, locate software, disable updates.

GoJoAGoGo

Joe
I also disabled my Windows XP Firewall the same day I got XP. I use a Sygate Personal Firewall plus a D-Link Router Firewall. The Router does make a big difference for security. I used the Sygate Personal Firewall alone for a short while and would always get a warning of "someone is scanning your computer", since I added the D-Link Router I haven't gotten that particular warning.

No plans on upgrading this PC to Vista ... ;)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online