1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Vista Freeze

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Hal356, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hal356

Hal356 Thread Starter

Helllo,
    My problem is that my computer will freeze each time I turn it on after 20 minutes. This started happening only after I installed a MIDI driver for my MIDI keyboard. Can anyone help me, this is driving me nuts.:eek:

2. cuttlefish

cuttlefish

First Name:
    Ian
    I guess for starters you could go to:

Control Panel
    Device Manager
    Locate your MIDI Driver
    Right click on it and select uninstall (ignore the warnings of doom!)
    Reboot the PC and see if:

a) Vista automatically locates and installs the driver or
    b) Prompts for the installation disc or
    c) Lets you browse for the fiie location of the driver you installed

3. Hal356

Hal356 Thread Starter

Answer A is what happened and it is still freezing after 20 minutes. Another thing that I recently did was that I changed my power plan to a custom power plan under screen saver.

4. cuttlefish

cuttlefish

First Name:
    Ian
    In that case, I'd just go back to the Windows default power plan and see if that fixes the problem. Also don't use hibernate or sleep settings..............

Forget all the climate warming and greenhouse emission stuff and just let the old PC operate as 99% of the rest of the world does anyway!

5. Hal356

Hal356 Thread Starter

Alright, but should I report it to microsoft, as it does seem that this is quite a big glitch?

6. cuttlefish

cuttlefish

First Name:
    Ian
    Guess you could try that but you would have to be labouring under the delusion that Microsoft actually care about user inputs!!!

7. rockindude

rockindude

This problem can be solve with the new Vista updte patch. Here's some info:

Patch: KB938194

This update resolves some compatibility issues and reliability issues in Windows Vista. By applying this update, you can achieve better reliability and hardware compatibility in various scenarios.

This update resolves the following issues:

• The screen may go blank when you try to upgrade the video driver. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

932539 (The screen may go blank when you try to upgrade the video driver on a Windows Vista-based computer) The screen may go blank when you try to upgrade the video driver on a Windows Vista-based computer

• The computer stops responding, and you receive a "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" error message. You can restart the computer only by pressing the computer's power button.

• The computer stops responding or restarts unexpectedly when you play video games or perform desktop operations.

• The Diagnostic Policy Service (DPS) stops responding when the computer is under heavy load or when very little memory is available. This problem prevents diagnostics from working.

• The screen goes blank after an external display device that is connected to the computer is turned off. For example, this problem may occur when a projector is turned off during a presentation.

• There are stability issues with some graphics processing units (GPUs). These issues could cause GPUs to stop responding (hang).

• Visual appearance issues occur when you play graphics-intensive games.

• You experience poor playback quality when you play HD DVD disks or Blu-ray disks on a large monitor.

• Applications that load the Netcfgx.dll component exit unexpectedly.

• Windows Calendar exits unexpectedly after you create a new appointment, create a new task, and then restart the computer.

• Internet Connection Sharing stops responding after you upgrade a computer that is running Microsoft Windows XP to Windows Vista and then restart the computer.

• The Printer Spooler service stops unexpectedly.

download it here
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938194

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/595161

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice