1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Vista gets stuck on configuring updates stage 3 of 3

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by kyin01, Oct 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kyin01

kyin01 Thread Starter

I have windows vista and everytime I turn on the computer it says configuring updates step 3 of 3.
    but it gets stuck on that screen and never finishes, ive tried restarting and i keep getting that screen. Ive tried safe mode and last known good configuration and it keeps bringing me back to that screen.
    i did a google search and mine is NOT looping. I also cant rename the pending.xml file because i cant get access to a command prompt. i dont have a vista CD because my laptop came preinstalled with vista so the CDs i got are a bootable image and not the actual vista CD.

i wanna try to run some programs but cant even get on to windows. Any ideas?

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

After installing updates from Windows Update, you may get into a Reboot loop
    where you machines gets to “configuring updates 3 of 3. 0% complete” then freezes or
    reboots.

Solution:

1a. Boot to the Windows DVD and choose the repair option in the lower left
    hand corner, choose System Restore, and select a Restore Point predating the
    attempted installation of the updates.

1b. If you don't have the DVD and the Vista came preinstalled on the
    machine, boot to the Safe Mode options using F8 during startup (tutorial:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...l61.html#vista).

Once in Safe Mode, invoke System Restore as follows:

Start | Run | (type in) rstrui.exe | [OK]

Select an available Restore Point predating the attempted installation of
    the updates.

3. kyin01

kyin01 Thread Starter

Okay thank you, it worked! im able to get into windows now, the problem is everytime i try to run automatic windows update it will get stuck. any ideas?

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

You need to figure out which update is causing this problem.

Next time you do a windows update, select only one update to be installed, reboot, if it boots OK do one more, until you find the one that is causing the loop. Post the KB number of the update.

5. ninarelle

ninarelle

hi,

i have the same problem but am unable to proceed past the configuring updates stage even when in safe mode and found the link provided above was no longer valid!

my updates get to 50% then freeze. after approx. 5 mins it moves to blue screan and starts to check disks. after finding nothing wrong with the machine it then restarts and repeats process.

is there anything i can do to save it?

Thanks,

Ninarelle

6. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/865720