1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WIndows vista help startup crash

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Pantheress13, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pantheress13

Pantheress13 Thread Starter

Hey everyone i really really need some help and fast,

my laptop (dell inspiron red) crashes everytime i try to login or start up,
    i have been able to try and repair it by a prompt that came up but that actually didnt help at all, i think it is worse off than it was,

i know this probably wasnt the best idea in the world but after about 15 mins of it being crashed i took the battery out, i dont know if that would have had any effect on making it worse or not :confused:

but i mean it has only been playing up since last night it froze then but it wouldnt turn off so i assumed it was over heating and took the battery out over night, then i treid to start it up again and it woldnt even login in. it is sooo frustrating, Vista is a bit of a fail at technology anyway but i was doing fine then it just breaks down ...

i seriously need help guys i have just started college so my laptop is a part of day to day life... oh! i wrote this using the family comp by the way. :(

if u do reply please break it down for me to understand i'm only 16 and i noticed in other threads people reply with loads CAP type things and ...well.. i dont know what they mean :confused:

thanks alot :(

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Is there a BSOD with informationon on it when it "crashes" or does it just freeze?

Does it always crash after you have entered login information?

If a BSOD, copy the error parameters and driver info if any.

Have you tried starting up in Safe Mode or Last Known Good Configuration?

Press the F8 key promptly at startup and you should get a boot menu with those options.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-Vista-Advanced-Boot-Options-51027.shtml

Under the "repair" option, if you follow it, you should get an option to do a System Restore, have you tried that?
    Also run the memory diagnostic.

[​IMG]

http://vistasupport.mvps.org/windows_vista_repair_options.htm

If the computer is under warranty -- start talking with the vendor's tech support about possible hardware replacement.

3. Pantheress13

well all it does once i start it up is the black screen with start up options like safe mode, safe mode with .... and others then it has start up normally and no matter which one i choose the same thing happens it goes to a plain black screen with only my mouse pointer visible which i can move around but still nothing happens

i havent dropped my laptop so it isnt a screen thing its soooo frustrasting

and oh before this did use the repair options but i chose the start up repair .... and ever since then that is when the black screen ppointer visible stuff happened...

i dont want to take it back i realyl dont want to lose everything off it
    and the thing is now i cant access my account to even remove things off it on to a memory stick

4. Pantheress13

also what is a BSOD ?

5. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Blue Screen Of Death
    When you get a "Blue" screen with White text and a long system error.

6. Pantheress13

oh ok i knew that people called it a blue screen of death but i never established the BSOD haha

but no i dont get that

its a black one instead DX

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You may have a corrupt partition or boot sector.

This is really an "advanced" repair and I have never used Vista's "bootrec.exe" myself.

But if you can get to the command prompt through the "Recovery Environment" I would try running the various repair and rebuild options covered here.

Test one at a time and reboot.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

A typical command would be: bootrec /RebuildBcd

If you are unable to carry this out -- then you are going to have to use whatever "recovery media" came with the computer; you may have to check with the vendor's tech support or tech site for your model if you don't know what that is.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758739

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice