Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows Vista Home Basic - Log Off

2K views 14 replies 2 participants last post by  248price 
#1 ·
Windows Vista Home Basic. Dell Inspiron 530 Computer (New 3 days ago)
How does one log off for the night so there is no power going to machine?
This is what I have been doing ? Start menue.I hit shut. The program shuts down , but minutes later the power light blinks on & off. And I just need to press the space bar and its on with my user logo and under it it says locked I hit that and it brings me back to where I was before shut down. If I hit sleep mode it does the same. I guess what I would like to be able to do is like in the last computer Windows xp I just hit the log out and everything shut down and had to hit power button on front of tower to start up gain. Can I di that with this Vista .Please help me.
Thanks

#3 ·
When I am away form the computer for more than 6hrs. I like to shut it down with no power and then hit my power button on tower to start up. If one uses hibernat, and you are away for a long period of time Is that good? In reply to your answer I have been doing what you said and thats what it is doing is going to sleep and not shutting down.. Any other suggestions.. Like I said Have only had this 3 days and I need to get acustomed to this Vista program. Any other suggestions will be of great help .
Thanks again

#4 ·
When you use hibernate the pc is as good as off it uses no electricity.
everything that is loaded in ram gets written to the hard drive then powers down.
you could have it on hibernate indefinatly without any harm,

Use sleep for short times away but hibernate for calling it a night or what have you.

Shut down when installing ram etc or doing a reboot after installing a program.

The longer vista goes with out being rebooted the better it runs.
It is just the opposite of xp,

Vista was designed to be put into hibernation it is the preferred method for it.

#5 ·
I am learing LOTS with your information. Tell me if I have this right..DO NOT use shut down unless installing etc. Use sleep when short stay away from pc.This puts the pc in hibernate and power light is on tower. Then just hit space bar to get going.Menu says Switch user, log off, lock,restart, sleep and shut down. Could you explain what Log off would be used for, Lock, and restart.. Could I use log off at the end of day?
And I guess have to get xp out of my head ..I used that program a long time. Need to learn this. Just be patient with me.
Thanks again
I will be looking forward to your reply
Thanks Thanks

#6 ·
Log off is for switching users.
It can also be used as an artificial reboot to some programs after installing a program.

Lock would be lock you session down.Lets say you went to the store and didnt want anyone to botther your work while you were away.

Shut down is for when,changing hardware in the machine.
When you will be booting a cd and have to shut down first etc.

Restart is for when after installing a program or update and are prompted to update.

For the most part just use hibernate when they are through for the day.

Sleep would be best for being away from the pc an hour or less.

#7 ·
Thanks for this info..This has been a great learing session for me..One question .You say use hibernate at the end of the day.. On my menue there is no hibernate..It says (Switch user,Log Off,Lock,Restart,Sleep,Shut Down) So would I hit sleep?
My brain has taken in a lot from you. After this reply I will be done for today with you.I thank you lots. I wished they tell you all this when one buys the new pc..I will be waiting for the last reply.
Thanks Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.