1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Vista Home Premium installed machine shows operating system not found

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by shiv_4feb, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shiv_4feb

shiv_4feb Thread Starter

I have a dell studio 15 laptop Windows Vista Home Premium installed on it. I got this laptop in November 2008, since then it was working fine just when I returned from Germany o india its not working. initially i thought disk got damaged due to x-ray scanning on airports but I read several threads on internet which says it does not erases/damages hard disks same I have also experienced during my several visits in which same laptop has gone through with this scanning process.

I tried to recover my OS by using OS DVD provided with the laptop. I booted my laptop by setting up the bootable device as DVD in BIOS but it does not help me to recover. I tried to install Windows XP also in C derive so that I can see the data(i.e. my all useful and important) present in D derive but its is not allowing me to install windows XP too on it.

While searching information, I came to know that it seems like its a issue of Windows Vista Home Premium and several people have faced the same . In one solution, it is mentioned that OS DVD provided with laptop may not have files to boot and recover so i downloaded a bootable files and tried with that too but that also does not work for me but it has worked for others as per reviews mentioned.

When I reboot my laptop from OS DVD priovided from the dell, I used to get an following errors:

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
    PXE-MOF: Exiting Broadcom PXE ROM
    Operating System Not found"

FYI- I run a diagnostic test also and all tests got PASS.

I am completely helpless and I want to recover my all important data.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Shiv S. Kushwaha

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If I'm understanding the symptoms correctly this could be as simple as a loose hard drive. If you don't have a paper copy of the Maintenance Manual I expect you can find it on Dell's web site (Support section) and it will explain how to replace the hard drive. Just use those instructions to make sure the hard drive is secure and the connections to it are secure (disconnect them and then reconnect securely).

3. shiv_4feb

shiv_4feb Thread Starter

Thanks for reply,

I just want to add some more information above. I performed diagnostic test again all got passed except HDD and got error as follows:
    --------------------------------
    Hard Derive -DST Short Test Fail
    Error Code - 0141
    MSG: Error Code 2000-0141
    MSG: Hard Derive - No derive detected
    The given error code and message can be used by dell technical support to help diagnose the problem
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

as per the error mentioned above I think my hard disk is not being read at the time of boot. it also does not shows in bios. BIOS is showing Fixed HDD - None.

I will try to get it resolved by dell technical person but if anybody is having any idea to resolve similar issue please reply thanks.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Did I mention "a loose hard drive"?

5. antech

antech Banned

Maybe a corrupted one also...

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916326

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice