1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Vista Home Premium Upgrade Questions (32 bit to 64 bit)

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Apostasy, Oct 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Apostasy

Apostasy Thread Starter

I am currently running Windows XP Home Edition, and I think I am ready to make the jump to Vista. Specifically, I want to upgrade to Vista Home Premium 64 bit version.

You see, currently I have 4 GB of ram installed into my computer, but because of page filing, CPU cache, and the 768 MB of memory on my Video Card, coupled with the limitation of 32-bit operating systems, I cannot use an entire GB of ram. Upgrading to a 64 bit Operating System is the only way to solver this issue. It's funny, because I am expecting a performance INCREASE from upgrading to Vista. I also have a Dual-core 64 bit AMD Opteron processor that I would like to take full advantage of (if not only for the sake of saying that I am). Finally, I NEED DirextX 10. Need.

So here is my question. I can get a Vista Home Premium Upgrade disk and license through my college for cheap. The only problem is that I am unsure if you can upgrade from XP Home 32 bit to Windows Vista 64 bit.

I called up Microsoft to ask them this question specifically, and after much waiting I was told that it was possible. I was told that I would first need to install Windows Vista Home Premium onto my computer with the 32-bit disks, and that I would then be shipped the 64 bit disks that would allow me to upgrade from a 32 to 64 bit operating environment. The thing is, I felt like I knew more about Windows Vista than the saleswomen (at first she didn't even know you could get Home Premium in 64 bit).

My questions for you fine folk is: Can I upgrade from Windows XP Home 32 bit version edition to Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit edition with the Windows Vista Home Premium Upgrade package? If I can, are the instructions from the saleswomen correct (I would think that I would just have to wait for the 64 bit disks and use those as opposed to upgrading to vista 32, and THEN 64.) If I can't, and need a clean install, can I do a clean installation with the Windows Vista Home Premium Upgrade Packaged?

Thanks.

2. Apostasy

Apostasy Thread Starter

I lurked around the internet quite a bit, and finally found a few websites saying that you CANNOT upgrade to 64 bit. I broke down and bought an OEM version of Vista Home Premium x64 for a bit more money than I could have gotten the Upgrade version.

3. Lexonex

Lexonex

Listen here is the deal..If you are looking for speed forget about it. It is okay and there are some tweaks you can do but, Vista is no dragster. Yes it will show your entire memory GB. If you are looking to the future by all means go with Vista 64 bit. HOWEVER, YOU WILL LOSE MANY APPLICATIONS DUE TO INCOMPATIBILITY BECAUSE YOU ARE NOW IN A 64 BIT ENVIRONMENT. Say good-bye to your Windows Office, any Adobe software you have, faxing etc. You can get these products to run by opening your wallet for new purchases.

BE SURE and back up your files/documents to an external hard drive because you will need to do a “clean” install. And it does not matter if you are running XP or Windows 98 because you will have an entirely new operating system.

I would just wait for the Vista 64 disc and load it. I upgraded from XP by going to Vista 32 bit and then loading the 64 bit disc and basically it is once again an entirely new “clean” installation.

The first Time I upgraded to Vista 32 bit I did it as an “upgrade” and not a clean install. BIG MISTAKE; lot of weird things happening when trying to run old incompatible software like adobe photo shop elements; I lost both of my D and E drives; these drives just disappeared. AGAIN, WHAT EVER YOU DO, DO A CLEAN INSTALL.

Some good news there will be a mega service pack from MS for Vista at the first of the year. I’m hoping for some kind of performance increase for my 64 bit PC. I mean I’m glad I went to Vista BUT, I should have bought it pre-installed. I had to get creative to get my faxing restored. Faxing was a freebie with XP and is ONLY found with Vista Ultimate. There is a work around by buying an external phone modem etc. I can go over that when you are ready.

Best of luck!

Windows Vista Home Premium
    64-bit Operating System
    I.E. 7 (32-bit and 64-bit)
    Gateway FX510S
    Intel(R) Pentium® D 950 CPU 3.40GHz
    800 MHz FSB, 2x2MB cache non-HT EM64T
    Intel (Watsonville 2) 975x Motherboard
    BIOS WT97510J.15A.2039.2006.0825.0358
    600-Watt power supply
    4093 MB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS Graphics Card

(IP Provider Cox Cable)
    Download: 10.0 Mbps Upload: 1.0 Mbps
    Coaxial direct to tower for TV viewing on Monitor

(Hardware)
    HP ScanJet G4050 Scanner (complete with 64-bit software and 64-bit drivers) with HP Photosmart
    U.S.Robotics External USB 56K Fax Modem Model 5633B
    Linksys Cable Modem Ethernet connection
    HP LaserJet 1300 PCL 5 printer
    Logitech Z-5300 Speakers and Sub-Woofer
    20” Envision LCD Monitor
    30 GB Zune Digital Media Player
    APC Back-UPS ES 750
    Western Digital 60 GB Removable hard drive
    Belkin 15in1 Media Reader/Writer

(All Software—64 bit compatible)
    MS Office Professional 2007
    Adobe Acrobat Standard 8.1
    Adobe Reader 8.1
    Trend Micro Internet Security 2007
    MS Zune Software Version 1.4
    BVRP Phone Tools Faxing Software free U.S.Robotics
    CCleaner (free) v.2.01.507

4. Lexonex

Lexonex

Yes, yes, the Vista 32 bit upgrade or the 64 bit disc will ask you if your want a "clean" install.........

Oh and by the way, I hope you are NOT using an ipod....Vista 64 bit in NOT compatible with itune software. Period. Maybe in the future...........

Odds are your Anti-Virus software will NOT be compatible either.....Scanner? Probably not....Printer? Perhaps, if you have an HP...

Like viewing Adobe Flash on websites? Can't do iit with 64 bit. The way around that is Vista gives you an Internet Explorer 32 bit and a Internet Explorer 64 bit. If you want to watch any YouTube or Flash on ANY website you must go with you I.E. 32 bit.......

You are entering a new, strange world of 64 bit......

5. Lexonex

Lexonex

That is ridiculous. I upgraded my XP to Vista 64 bit....It was hell (just google "lexonex vista" and see all the s___ I went through) but, it can be done. ..........I simply ordered the Vista Home Premium Upgrade (thinking it was automatically 64 bit and it was NOT) and installed it. For $10 there is a number and you must call that number to order a "64 bit disc" which I did. I then installed that. Currently running Vista Home Premium 64 bit from a Gateway PC that originally came with XP..........

6. Apostasy

Apostasy Thread Starter

I'm a brave man! I think the 64 bit future is a LOT closer than we all think. 4GB of memory isn't going to be enough in the not so distant future. I'd like to be ready for this. As for software, I don't use anything extremely obscure. My only requirements are a firewall of some sort (I like Zone Alarm a lot, but I'm not sure if it'll work), and Anti-Virus software of some sort (McAfee please?). If games won't work than I'm going to be quite upset. I don't fax or use adobe software, or MS office for that matter. I don't have a scanner, and I'm using a Canon printer as of now.

Luckily for me, I am running vista 32-bit on my laptop, and can use that if anything I desperately need doesn't work.

I ended up just buying Vista 64 OEM.

7. Lexonex

Lexonex

Wish you well.........I'm looking at getting an Apple MacBook in the future that will be running Apple's true 64 bit O.S. known as Leopard.....I'm going to evaluate that directly against my Vista 64 bit O.S. at the first of '08 when the Windows Vista Service Pack comes out......Winner Takes All !!

Not sure about your games.....Never played one.......

8. Lexonex

Lexonex

iTunes 7 is fully compatible with Vista 64bit.....I went out and bought an iPod Touch 16GB to go along with my original Zune 30GB....I run both iTunes 7 and the Zune software ....Not a problem...

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/633509

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice