1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Vista Indexing Not Working Properly

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by crystalkeys, Dec 9, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. crystalkeys

crystalkeys Thread Starter

I am running an 11 year old Dell with Vista..its the best computer I have ever owned

But in the last week the indexing/search is not working

I open up Indexing Options and choose to either rebuilt or restore to default

My index starts to build and usually by the end of the evening everything is working again

However, when I reboot the following day I have to start the rebuilding function all over again in order to search my hard drive

Hoping I can find a fix for this issue...there has to be a quicker way than rebuilding every day!!

Thank you

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    The rebuilding of the indexing should fix any issues with it. I cannot say why its not keeping the rebuilt indexing, unless there is a program like DeepFreeze that will revert your computer back to the settings you had...

As to Vista (if you didn't know) there hasn't been any updates since April 2017... you may want to look into updating to Windows 10.

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    As a workaround if your hard drive(s) are using NTFS you can use this program to search with, it's free and very fast, the FAQ link should answer any questions you have but if not just ask here in your thread :-

https://www.voidtools.com

4. crystalkeys

Thank you very much...my hardrive is NTFS!!

5. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    You're welcome. How do you like 'Everything' ?

6. crystalkeys

I ran a virus scan last night and found some adaware..not sure if that has anything to do with it
    Backed up all of my work to an external hard drive and ran an overnight complete c/scan
    Today my index searching worked right away on booting and has been perfect all day
    (Before this happened I ordered a new computer...but its been 11 years so I figure I deserve it!!)

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Well, at least you will be up to date with the new machine and have the vista machine as a back up :)
    hopefully the indexing sticks for you

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I use 'Everything' all the time instead of the built-in search, it's very fast. If you do try it let us know what you think of it.

11 years of Vista ? Yep you definitely deserve a new PC now ;) :-

Couriant likes this.
  9. snuffleufflegus

snuffleufflegus

Have been using "Everything" for years.I love it.It's super fast.

10. crystalkeys

So yesterday my computer searched properly...everything seemed to be back to normal and I questioned myself as to if I really should have ordered a new dell at Christmas time and its over the top cost

Booted this morning and the same crap started happening all over again so I downloaded the "Everthing" tool (voidtools) and its searches are mega fast

My new dell arrives January 10th...hope this one hangs in there till then!

So happy!!

snuffleufflegus likes this.
  11. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Glad you like Everything. :)

What model Dell is having those search problems ?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1236873

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice