Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows Vista Indexing Not Working Properly

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  managed 
#1 ·
I am running an 11 year old Dell with Vista..its the best computer I have ever owned

But in the last week the indexing/search is not working

I open up Indexing Options and choose to either rebuilt or restore to default

My index starts to build and usually by the end of the evening everything is working again

However, when I reboot the following day I have to start the rebuilding function all over again in order to search my hard drive

Hoping I can find a fix for this issue...there has to be a quicker way than rebuilding every day!!

Thank you

#2 ·
The rebuilding of the indexing should fix any issues with it. I cannot say why its not keeping the rebuilt indexing, unless there is a program like DeepFreeze that will revert your computer back to the settings you had...

As to Vista (if you didn't know) there hasn't been any updates since April 2017... you may want to look into updating to Windows 10.

#6 ·
I ran a virus scan last night and found some adaware..not sure if that has anything to do with it
Backed up all of my work to an external hard drive and ran an overnight complete c/scan
Today my index searching worked right away on booting and has been perfect all day
(Before this happened I ordered a new computer...but its been 11 years so I figure I deserve it!!)

#8 ·
I use 'Everything' all the time instead of the built-in search, it's very fast. If you do try it let us know what you think of it.

11 years of Vista ? Yep you definitely deserve a new PC now ;) :-

Reactions: Couriant
#10 ·
So yesterday my computer searched properly...everything seemed to be back to normal and I questioned myself as to if I really should have ordered a new dell at Christmas time and its over the top cost

Booted this morning and the same crap started happening all over again so I downloaded the "Everthing" tool (voidtools) and its searches are mega fast

My new dell arrives January 10th...hope this one hangs in there till then!

So happy!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.