1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Vista/Opensuse

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by shaji007, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shaji007

shaji007 Thread Starter

i installed opensuse few days back and as you know opensuse when installing creates partitions and etc etc etc
    i got dual boot vista and linux......this morning for some wierd reason my vista wouldnt not load up
    so i tried finding hardware problems etc etc none wat soever so had to reinstall vista again

but now the boot screen has gone so it just loads up to vista and i cannot see linux anywhere

the first thing i need help is

i wanna get rid of linux and 2nd get rid of the partitions it has created

EDIT

i think ive got rid of linux opensuse i went onto their website and found a tutorial and went through this method called Fdisk

http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:How_to_Uninstall_Linux

thats the link

now then i was lost becuase my hard drive for xp is now currently at 60 gb and i want the full amount so how do i do that?

this is the partition list using microsoft something ...il get a screeshot up soon

sooo um all i want is all that spare partition to be back or even better i wouldnt mind using these partitions in a usefull way for example backup drive etc etc so if anyone could help thank you!

2. RobLinux

RobLinux

You should use "Live CD" for experiments, which runs purely from CD-ROM and will not touch hard disk unless you tell it to.
    You shouldn't have to reinstall Vista, if you boot it incorrectly once, it seems to refuse to try and boot, so I had to use 'repair' option on Vista disk once myself.

Vista will have made itself active and trashed the OpenSuSE boot code (usies GRUB to dual boot), this is a normal problem with MS OSes. To remove Linux, just run a partition tool, and delete it's partitions, then you can recreate a Win one, and format it in 'Computer' section once it's seen.
    Re-partition. Format the Filesystem and you're done, easy. Take your time and don't panic... use search engine and read the FAQ/HowTo pages ppl have put up.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

I agree with you Rob but Suse 10.3 live cd I think was thrown out too fast and has all kinds of problems...with internet, wireless, printers I would wait on that one till they come out with something better. Honestly for Live-cd I think Puppy Linux is the best.

4. shaji007

shaji007 Thread Starter

ah man this is gettin worse
    i found out i got two unallocated spaces
    how do i recover these? and make them WHOLE
    i wouldnt mind 2 seperate partitions
    i regret installin opensuse bigtime now :mad:

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

If you right click on the drive and choose actions in Disk management, you can shrink or increase partition size by absorbing the unalocated space.
    Right click My Computer, choose manage, then disk management....

6. shaji007

shaji007 Thread Starter

hmmm i cant even do that...well im using Vista first time so a step by step guide will help please

how do i change them allocated spaces to NFTS

i know partition magic is good etc but i need free software :)

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

8. RobLinux

RobLinux

Yes, I agree it probably has. Actually the recent kernel update to 2.6.22.12 has improved my OS-10.3 systems a lot, really had a lot of hard to pin down networking or something issues. Been surprised as in past you could trust all but the SuSE x.0 releases and some of them wre pretty good eg) 8.0.

The Ubuntu CD is OK, Kubuntu worked but my copy wouldn't install claiming media problem, despite me checking all the md5sums and verifying the CD on write anyway...

9. RobLinux

RobLinux

Google : Vista FAQ shrink volume

That's what most ppl wanna do, but you do oposite option, grow or whatever it's called. Noone's going to type it out again.

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

We discovered on my forum (we have a pretty active Linux group) that in many cases cd's burned for live-cd's will not run on a dvd burner or player and you need to use a cd drive.

11. shaji007

shaji007 Thread Starter

omg it took me all day to find out where that was but yes i have found the drive its not unallocated it just said free space so i right clicked on it and activated it it formated it to NFTS and its now working...now my next question...well if you find the extended partition thread youl find it

but thanks for ya help at least im nearly tehre

12. RobLinux

RobLinux

This is well off topic now but...

I could run that CD as a Live one, it was only Kubuntu install process that failed (after loading many packages), and OpenSuSE Install CD, ran fine. I could even check the md5sums on the CD/DVD RW, so I didn't reattempt the install.

Have used Sidux, Knoppix, GRML, KDE4 (SuSE), and Pupply Linux as Live CD's on this box, only issues was Kubuntu installer. *shrug*

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650291

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice