1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Vista Recovery Upgrade

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by extras, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. extras

extras Thread Starter

I wanted to know if this would work:
    I am about to purchase an HP notebook that comes with Vista Home Premium. One of the options available to purchase is the recovery discs. HP gives me 3 choices:

1. Vista Home Premium for $19.
    2. Vista Business for $19.
    3. Vista Ultimate for $19.

what would happen if I bought the notebook with Vista Home Premium installed as well as the recovery discs for Ultimate, and then used those recovery discs to upgrade from Premium to Ultimate permanently? would that work? Would I get an error message? Theories are nice but I would like to know if anyone has actually tried it. Thanks.

2. alwrmc

alwrmc

First Name:
    B.L.
    I believe it works like this. When you purchase Vista, the disc that comes to you is priced for the version of Vista that you paid for. You can use that same disc to upgrade from say Vista Home Premium to Vista Ultimate by simply using/installing from the same disc but it will cost the difference between the two versions and will require a new activation. You would NOT be able to retain the "old" version and continure using it.
    This is not a theory, it is the way the Microsoft Vista installation/upgrade is explaned on their site.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can create the recovery disks from the recovery partition on your machine, it's cheaper than buying them from HP. :) There is a utility on the laptop that creates them.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

HP isn't going to give you a free upgrade. They're not going to ship Vista Ultimate restore disks if you only paid for Vista Home Premium. You'd probably get an error submitting the order.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/595584

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice