1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Vista Slow Startup and Shutdown

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Summerbear5, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Summerbear5

Summerbear5 Thread Starter

I've never had a problem with shutting down or starting up the computer. Lately it seems it's taking a bit longer than normal to shut down and longer than normal to startup. I ran the following programs to help solve the problem: CCleaner, Adaware, Spybot, Disk Cleanup, Error-Checking Tool, Defrag, & Antivirus...My computer is fully updated via windows update...nothing worked and I will still having the slower than normal startup and shut downs. I finally decided the computer was do for a reformat...fresh start if you will. Even after fully reformating the computer back to factory default settings it's still shutting down slow and starting up slow.

I did notice this one thing. awhile back from the hp technical support chatroom they had me download new firmware or something??? All I know is when I initially turn the computer on the boot screen is different...(now I never had a problem with this and don't think it's cause the slower startup and shut downs) but I did notice after the reformat...it didn't go back to the original boot screen it stayed the same...sorry if this doesn't make sense...

Any suggestions? Thanks ahead of time.
    Summer

2. kenny111111

kenny111111

hello,
    start>type msconfig enter>startup tab....whats listed there? (the only thing i have is my anti virus program), everything else will start when you use it. to remove a program just take the check out of the box(s) and click apply. (this will not remove the program from your computer)

while your there go to the boot tab, are there any check marks in any of the boxes?, if yes take them out..

while in the boot tab, change the value of the "timeout" box to 6 seconds..

if you make any changes click apply and reboot...any difference?

good luck

ps: you should fill out your system specs using this tool (in your user profile) http://forums.techguy.org/announcements/948490-tsg-system-information-utility.html

pss: be careful with cc cleaner, don't use it for anything except clearing temp files.. this is a much better temp file cleaner http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/files/file/187-tfc-temp-file-cleaner-by-oldtimer/

3. kryton123

kryton123

4. Summerbear5

I had everything unchecked in the startup tab of msconfig and still problem persist...

The slow startup is mostly what I am concerned with at this point. It acts slow right after the boot screen...it's a completely black screen with a blinking _ It blinks several times moves a line down and blinks several more times before loading windows...Before it used to blink several times and then load windows...now it goes down a line and blinks several more time. Again sorry if this is confused. This is at which point the computer it the most slow on startup and because it never started up like that before that is what concerns me.

5. RaytheBear

RaytheBear

re "hp technical support chatroom? they had me download new firmware or something?"
    Would be best to come to a Forum like this one beforehand, there many many knowledgeable people and moderators who can guide you in making the right decisions, and the great thing about this Forum, these knowledgeable members are clearly Identified as such.

A chatroom? where these people actual Experts or people who participate in a chatroom.
    You are not sure of the Firmware you downloaded? This is IMPORTANT to know, if it is a Bios Firmware then it
    is Imperative that it be Exactly the Right one for your Motherboard/Bios or you could literally destroy or hamper your

system, so please , try to think of what exactly they made you install and HOW, very important in my books.

Good Luck
    Ray

6. kenny111111

kenny111111

as I said theres nothing wrong with cc cleaner IF you stay away from the registry part of it! (I use it for temp ONLY)

here is a link on performing a clean start up to see if its a service that is hanging up.. (hopefully that is it)
    but ray is right about the bios.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

best of luck

ps, by chatroom, did you mean "live chat" with a support person?

7. Summerbear5

@Ray

It was not just a random computer support chat room. It was a technical support tech from the offical HP website. I went in there because I was having problems with windows media center. Yes I'm pretty sure it was a bios firmware...I'm assuming it was the correct one for my pc considering the tech I was talking to gathered all important information from me such as model number, serial number etc. etc. The download came directly from the HP website as well and installed no problems. I'm not sure if I started experiencing slowness since them...but I have been having it for awhile and just now deciding to do something about it. But even with a reformat...I'm still having the slowness on startup and shutdowns

8. RaytheBear

RaytheBear

Well that is good to know that you were talking to an Official teckie.
    Hopefully more experienced members than myself like kenny111111 and others will continue to help solve your problem.

Best of luck
    Ray

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972549

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice