1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Vista stopped connecting to the internet

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Cartertribe, Jan 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cartertribe

Cartertribe Thread Starter

My emachine Windows Vista stopped connecting to the Internet. Any idea what I should do to reconnect ?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you mean to reconnect in general my idea is to buy a newer device.

If you mean to reconnect that PC I suggest trying some Linux distributions.

If you mean to reconnect that PC with Vista my first idea is to determine whether it used to connect via ethernet or wireless or both.

3. Cartertribe

Thanks for responding. Yes, I want to use this computer to connect to the internet. It just stopped connecting this week. It connects through ethernet. Otherwise, the computer is still working. How would I get Linux?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Does Device Manager claim that the ethernet adapter is "working normally" or does it show an error?

Can you successfully connect to your router or modem, but without internet access?

Almost all the over 100 Linux distributions (OSes) are free for the download. One example is Lubuntu, a light version of the relatively popular Ubuntu.

5. Cartertribe

The error message "Your connection is not secure" another one says "certificate is invalid".

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Connection to your router? Or to what?

That implies you have internet access. If not, what certificate?

7. lunarlander

lunarlander

Check also if your Vista date, time and year is correct.

Cartertribe likes this.
  8. irbrenda

irbrenda

Yes. I am running Vista Ultimate and have issues connecting to a few websites, since I use Google Chrome and even Firefox. The system is just old. However, I have had success connecting to those sites using Maxthon5 browser. No problems at all. http://www.maxthon.com/mx5/

9. Cartertribe

I fixed the date and time. I also uninstalled a flash update. That combo has fixed the problem. Thanks!

10. lunarlander

lunarlander

Re-install the Flash update. You don't want to get hacked by not using the latest secure flash version

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222301

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice