Windows Vista Upgrade to which one next?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ARTiCREATE

Artist
Hello!
Windows Vista came installed on my Gateway computer. I have Mozilla Firefox and I'm very pleased with it.
The information box I received on my computer reads as below in bold print. The suggestion is to upgrade to Windows 10, but the reviews on it are extremely heavy in the negative, and very few seem to be happy with it. Can you please suggest a Windows upgrade for me that is still available for purchase from Office Depot/Office Max, as I am too inexperienced to try to download an upgrade from the Internet directly onto my computer.
Thank you very much in advance! God bless you for helping people like me who are clueless. o_O
Firefox is ending support for Windows XP and Vista

Triple6

Rob
Only Windows 10 will be available for purchase from any reputable sellers, all others are phased out from normal sales.

Have you checked to see if Windows 10 or any newer version of Windows is even supported on your computer? Is the hardware good enough and are there drivers? If it came with Vista then it's about 10 years old and it may be wiser or even required to replace the entire computer.

Also Windows 8 and 10 cannot upgrade Vista, you need to back up your data and do a clean install and then restore your data and reinstall your software programs.

While some people don't like Windows 10, the vast majority seem to like it just fine, the complainers are always louder.

ARTiCREATE

Artist
Thank you, Triple6 Rob, for your response. While this was not the reply I was hoping for, I can tell by your phrases "hardware good enough," "are there drivers," "clean install, back up data, and reinstall software" that this is not a job for me - perhaps my best bet is to drag my heavy tower and a newly purchased Windows 10 program to a computer store and pay to have this done professionally. I do appreciate your taking the time to reply - thank you very much!

Triple6

Rob
Actually I would suggest buying a new computer, it would be the much wiser approach then possibly spending more money on a new operating system and labor getting it installed and configured than what the is worth, if it'll even work. A new computer would also likely be much faster.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You haven't provided any description of your Gateway desktop or its hardware, so we don't know if it supports Windows 10 and if it's modern and fast enough to run it.
What model name and model number is it?
What's the serial number and SNID number on it?

If it's still able to load and run Windows Vista, do the following in it:
Download and save the TSG System Information Utility (SysInfo.exe) file.
After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.
Information about your computer will appear.
Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE text here.

---------------------------------------------------------------

ARTiCREATE

Artist
Thank you, Triple6 Rob!

Flavallee Frank, thank you so much for your response. Forgive me for knowing very little about computers - just enough to really mess things up that are beyond beginner level. I hope the information below is what you were referring to . . .
Again, thank you!

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4600 @ 2.40GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3044 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family, 320 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 455 GB (386 GB Free); D: 10 GB (0 GB Free);
Motherboard: Intel Corporation, DG33SXG2
Antivirus: Norton Internet Security, Enabled and Updated

Last edited:

ARTiCREATE

Artist
Model DX442S
Serial Number 1102160502
Not sure what SNID is or where to find it. (n)
Windows Vista Home Premium OEMAct
Another number on the desktop tower: PN 95217600011

Last edited:

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Model DX442S
Gateway DX442S Desktop(2906026R)
It came with Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit.
It came with the Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 2.40 GHz processor and Intel G33(GMA 3100) graphics and 465 GB hard drive that's listed in your log.
It also came with the 3 GB of RAM that's listed in your log, but it supports up to 8 GB.
Its motherboard has a PCI Express x16 slot for adding a graphic card.
It came with a 400W power supply.

According to the description of its primary devices(chipset, graphics, audio, ethernet, etc.), it has full driver support for Windows 7 32-bit/64-bit.
If Windows 7 Home Premium or Professional 32-bit/64-bit wasn't difficult to find and wasn't expensive, my advice would be to switch to it and install a graphics card and add more RAM.
I don't recommend taking that desktop to a computer shop and having Windows 10 Home or Pro 32-bit/64-bit installed in it and upgrading hardware because it'll cost you a lot more than what it's worth.
For about $250.00 - $400.00, you can buy a refurbished desktop that's newer and faster and already comes with Windows 7 Home Premium or Professional 32-bit/64-bit or Windows 10 Home or Pro 32-bit/64-bit already installed.

ARTiCREATE

Artist
Thank you, flavallee Frank! This gives me a lot to consider. With all the installing and upgrading necessary, my thought now it to buy a new computer with Windows already factory installed. I would still need to lug this enormously heavy tower to a computer shop to have them transfer information, documents, photos, etc., and pay them to do that. Then I would have to figure out how to get the modem, router, printer, and WiFi connected - right? All that in itself is going to be white-knuckle challenging.
Thank you very much for your input - I really appreciate your wisdom and advice! God bless you for helping people like me who are technically in the dark.

I wonder if that info box came from FireFox or Microsoft. Of course Microsoft would want you to upgrade to Windows 10 but I don't think FireFox would care that much. If I were you I would just keep using FireFox until it refuses to update and then worry about a new system. If it was MS that gave that warning and not FireFox I would personally ignore it myself. Heck I'm running XP on one machine and it has the latest FireFox running with no warnings here. Of course MS is not allowed to access any of my PC's with out my permission and I have auto update turned off (critical updates from MS) on XP Win7 and Vista before I upgraded it to 7. If your using Windows Firewall it probably lets MS access your PC when ever it wants. I use Zone Alarm Free set to the most strick blocking where everything except Zone Alarm itself has to ask permission. Of course the end of life of Vista is coming but there is also a chance they will extend it like they did with XP.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
ARTiCREATE:

All your photos, documents, etc. can be copied to a USB thumb drive or burned to a CD/DVD at home.
There's no need to take that Gateway tower to a computer repair shop and spend money unnecessarily to have that done.
Once a replacement computer is installed and running, your personal data can then be copied into it.

Connecting and setting up the replacement computer with the modem/router, printer, wireless, etc. needs to be done at home.
Do you have a computer-knowledgeable family member or friend who can devote a few hours doing that for you?

kenbok51:

Mozilla has advised that version 52 of Firefox(which was recently released) is the last version that will be supported in Windows Vista.
When version 53 is released next month, it won't be supported and won't install in Windows Vista.

I have a "test machine" with Windows XP and Windows Vista so I can keep track of which apps no longer install or update in those operating systems.
Both operating systems are completely up-to-date and are currently using Avast Free Antivirus 17.2 and Mozilla Firefox 52.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I suspect firefox 52 will still get updated. I don't think Mozilla would put customers at risk by leaving it susceptible to attack. They don't benefit from users updating to the latest from MS.

ARTiCREATE

Artist
kenbok51 ~ Your reply on 3-11-17 at 9:12 p.m. was a GREAT relief to me. Thank you very much! This is what I was hoping to hear ... that I could just leave well enough alone and not rush into starting over with a new computer until I have absolutely no other choice. I think I will immediately look into version 52 of Mozilla Firefox so that maybe I can buy myself some more time. Again, thank you so much for sharing your knowledge with me. God bless you!

flavallee Frank ~ Many thanks for your encouraging words, and especially the sense that I can do this on my own without paying for it to be done by a computer repair shop. I will learn how to save data to a thumb drive or CD/DVD. Unfortunately for me, I have no family member or friend who is tech savvy and available to do any of this for me. I do have a copy of Windows Vista for Dummies, which will have to suffice. Thank you for taking an interest in my situation, and God bless you for giving your time and expertise!

*If either of you are needing advice on which oil paint is the best on the market, and which painting support is unrivaled, I'm your (wo)man. ;)

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
There's nothing wrong with waiting a few more months or even until the end of this year before you make the move from Windows Vista to Windows 7 or Windows 10.
In the meantime, try to avoid doing anything on-line that involves banking, credit card purchases, posting of sensitive information, etc..

When the time does come to make the switch to a desktop tower with Windows 7 or Windows 10, you'll likely need someone who knows what they're doing to do it for you.
It'll likely take 2 - 4 hours to connect and set everything up, and it's not something that a "computer dummy" can do.

ARTiCREATE

Artist
Thank you, flavallee Frank! Definitely I'm a "computer dummy," and will beg, borrow, or pay for help when I make the big switch. I am very grateful for your help and advice!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online