1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Vista will not find/download updates.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by jdl, Sep 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jdl

jdl Thread Starter

I'm using a Toshiba Laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium SP2. The computer is used only occasionally and, when opened, it usually downloads numerous Windows updates and installs them automatically. Before today, the last updates (84) were installed 7/26/2015, before that on 6/10/2015 5 updates were installed, before that on 5/24/2015 19 updates were installed. Today when the computer was opened, Windows tried to find and download updates and ran continuously without downloading any updates. I ran the Windows Update troubleshooter and it fixed some problems but also reported discrepancies that it could not fix (Error 0x80070057(2015-09-20-T-03_12_40P). I installed Hotfix for Windows (KB947821) apparently without results. I ran chkdsk and sfc scannow. The log produced after scannow, said "Access Denied when I tried to open it. I have the SR tagged lines in the log file from C:\windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log which appears to show that several lines have discrepancies which were not fixed. I have no idea how to repair them.

Now the good news. After multiple restarts in the processes described above, Windows Update found, downloaded and installed 42 updates. Upon shutdown and restart it finished the installation of three of them and all appear to be current.

Now the however, Windows update troubleshooter still reports two "not fixed" errors: "Windows update error 0x80070057(2015-09-20-T-10_39_56P)" and "Problems installing recent updates."

How can I either fix or reinstall the windows update files that appear to be corrupted.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

3. jdl

jdl Thread Starter

Sorry for the delay in replying to your post. Life interfered with my attempts to resolve this computer problem. Thanks for the reply.
    I did install the hot fix (KB947821) as noted in my initial post. No changes were noted as a result of that installation.
    Any other ideas?

4. jhayz

jhayz

5. Macboatmaster

Sorry for missing that. you had already run it I will post later the next possible fix

6. jdl

jdl Thread Starter

SOLVED

Thanks for the reply jhayz. I tried that too. See my original post where I said, "I have the SR tagged lines in the log file from C:\windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log..."

My system appears to be getting and installing updates now. Perhaps something I did fixed whatever was wrong. I'm going to call this post "SOLVED" for now...until something fails again. Thanks to all for the help. I still think there are some corrupted files but my Vista program came on the computer and I can't reload the damaged files unless someone has another idea.

7. Macboatmaster

send the log I will have a look at it for you

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1156428

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice