1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Vista will not load following update

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by crawley5, Dec 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crawley5

crawley5 Thread Starter

Hi All,

I was using my laptop last night (Dell Vostro 1710 and using Windows Vista), using only internet via firefox and the steam application, and had no problems prior to switching it off before I went to bed.

Got up this morning, switched on the computer and after loading past the 'Dell' logo it would not load any further.

I am pretty limited with my computer knowledge but have followed some online sites (mainly via Dell and Microsft) which have so far failed to help. I have carried out the following:

Start up Repair - says that the problem may not be fixed automatically and to contact either the computer manufacturer or system administrator. There is only 1 user on the computer so should be no administrator issues. I am currently in Thailand so support via Dell will be very limited or v. expensive (and from what I have read on-line they will recommend that the steps below are followed prior to doing a whole restore of factory settings).

I have attempted a System Restore of various points but receive the following message:
    system restore failed due to an unspecified error. The requested operation was made in the context of a transaction that is no longer active

I see from the list of previous available system restore points that a windows update occurred sometime between me switching the computer off and turning it back on this morning. Surely this has to be the problem.

The option to repair OS(C) has also popped up. I have 'ok'd' this, then receive confirmation that the OS(c) is repaired however when I try to either do the system restore at this point - I get an error message- or restart and load in it does not get any further than the microsoft logo load in.

After all attempts I have not yet been able to get through to the desktop start up.

Hope the above makes some sense. Does anyone have any suggestions? Hopefully a re-format may be avoided due to the masses of important documents stored on the computer which I do not wish to lose.

I am typing from another computer as I am unable to use the laptop at present.

Thanks for any assistance in advance.

Paul

2. Sponsor

3. crawley5

crawley5 Thread Starter

I should have also said that if the computer is now started up it runs in a sort of loop:

1. Loads in the Dell logo
    2. Progresses to load in the Microsoft logo
    3. After a few minutes it restarts and begins again.

Cheers

4. crawley5

crawley5 Thread Starter

Further info:

Just ran Startup Repair and received the following message:

Startup Repair cannot repair this compute automatically.

Under details of problems the following is listed:

Problem Event Name: StartupRepairV2
    Problem Signature 01: AutoFailover
    Problem Signature 02: 6.0.6001.18000.6.0.6001.18000
    Problem Signature 03 6
    Problem Signature 04 262148
    Problem Signature 05 Corrupt Volume
    Problem Signature 06 BadPatch
    Problem Signature 07 0
    Problem Signature 08 3
    Problem Signature 09 WrpRepair
    Problem Signature 10 87

OS Version 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033

5. paperdollx

paperdollx

I'm having the exact same problem except I'm using an HP Laptop.

I can't run System Restore or even get into Safe Mode. The only useful thing that I can get to is either Command Prompt or System Recovery which will reformat my entire computer and I will loose everything. I'm hoping to avoid this!

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

6. frankie707

frankie707

I have the exact same problem have tried everything as above to no avail. Having to use a lap top to discover what to do. Please help.

I have a Dell XPS 420

7. crawley5

crawley5 Thread Starter

Hi,

I took my computer to a IT shop last night. He ran the usual checks but then was able to access the C drive (I live in Thailand and was told that the data files are fine but os not fine!). From this he can transfer all files to an external hard drive or cd.

So, you should be able to keep you files, then to a re-format.

I have no idea how to do this. Am going back later today for him to carry this out so will see if I can take instructions and let you know.

Cheers

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/968793

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice