Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows Vista will not recognize dvd drive

22K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  sgtsunshine 
#1 ·
I have a serial ata harddrive and a ultra ata/133 hardrive connected to a ecs k8t890-a motherboard. The bios recognizes my dvd drive but windows vista does not. Windows keeps stating that I need ATA Device drivers for my dvd drive. What can I do to correct this problem.

#3 ·
I had the exact same problem as you two. It is often caused by installing a piece of software that is not compatable (i.e doesn't agree with) with Vista. Many people have this problem or similar. I found by searching forums that there is a way to solve the problem.

It might sound complicated but it involves editing a registry key - which is very simple to do.

1. Click on Start, then in the search box type "run", and then click on the icon that turns up in the search (alternatively, hold the windows key + R), and then type in "regedit" followed by the enter key
2. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or
3. clicking the "+" next to it.)
4. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key
5. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key
6. Expand the "Control" Key
7. Expand the "Class" Key
8. Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
9. High light this key by left clicking ONCE on it
10. On the right hand side of the window you should see a box with a breakdown of the contents of the Key you just highlighted. You are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these please delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"
11. Please exit the registry by clicking on the "X" in the top right hand corner of the screen

Reboot your computer

This should work (it did for me, and many others), If your worried, back up your files and mabey setup a system restore point :)

The proceedure may sound irrational, but trust me its not very hard.

Gormless_Git

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.