1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Vista - Won't save Username/Passwords

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by CapeCoral, Jan 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CapeCoral

CapeCoral Thread Starter

Recently started having the issue that everytime I close my browser -next time i have to log in again with User Name and Password - even though settings are set to keep me logged in for two weeks. I've checked the Internet Options listings and the box to save passwords from deletion is unchecked. Wondering if this is from some update. How do I reset so I don't have to enter info each time? Thanks!

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Do you have a setting or program to clean up your browsing history, cookies and etc?

3. CapeCoral

CapeCoral Thread Starter

Yes - I go Tools - Internet Options - General Tab - Browsing History. When I click on the Delete button - all of the boxes are checked except two. 1) Preserve Favorite Website Date - at Top 2) Passwords. The Delete Browsing History on Exit box is also checked on the main General Tab. I've tried unchecking several other boxes but that hasn't seemed to make a difference. Again - this just started happening a few months ago.
    Appreciate your help.

4. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    Well some if not most the site passwords are linked to Cookies, and you are deleting the required files to keep the site passwords and accounts.

Try NOT doing this clean up for a while and see if the passwords are being saved.

There really is NOT any real need in deleting these files, unless you are trying to prevent others from seeing where you had visited.

5. CapeCoral

CapeCoral Thread Starter

Will do. I thought that all of the "Stuff" this cleaned up filled up the Cache on the system? Is that not correct.

6. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    Yes, it can be, but the best is to at least leave the Cookies and Passwords.

How much room do you have on the hard drive?
    Are you hurting for space?

7. CapeCoral

CapeCoral Thread Starter

Plenty of room on the hard drive. I unchecked the cookies and passwords boxes & the fix didn't work. However - strangely enough is seems to be site specific. When I close out and go back into my browser to check email (Yahoo dsl) I still have to enter User & Password every time - even though the - stay logged in for 2 weeks box is checked. When I close out of this forum site and then come back again - I am still shown as logged in?? Any other suggestions?

8. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    I am NOT a user of yahoo, but some internet mail sites will NOT remember the account names and passwords.

Are some of your different site account names and passwords being remembered?

9. CapeCoral

CapeCoral Thread Starter

I don't ask any other sites to rember my username or password. Only this one as I use it daily. Note - this site has not done this before. I just started having this problem several months ago and I've had the account for 5 years. Assumed an update had changed something - or a setting needed to be checked. So far - still same problem.

10. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    OR yahoo may have change their method and does NOT allow saving the user name and password any more.

Have you contacted them and asked?

11. CapeCoral

CapeCoral Thread Starter

Think we'll consider this closed. Thanks for your help.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087527

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice