1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Vista x64 Questions

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by IgneousPrime, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. IgneousPrime

IgneousPrime Thread Starter

Hey guys, I'm planning to buy Windows Vista Ultimate and I'm planning to initially install it as a 64-bit OS. I have NEVER tried a 64-bit OS before, and I would love to see what it can do, but are there any major downsides to it? I have an AMD 4200+ X2 Dual Core processor right now with 2 gigs of ram, so I'm pretty sure I can run it and everything, my only concern is, is it backwards compatible with the normal 32-bit software?

I do a lot of Photoshop, Premiere, Illustrator, Flash, etc and stuff like that since I'm in school right now, and on my free time play a ton of games such as World of Warcraft, Graw, Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six, etc etc. Basically, I just wanna make sure the OS runs fine with all of these things, and if it does, will there be a noticeable speed increase and such?

I currently own an Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe motherboard and I've seen drivers and such that support 64-bit (just gotta install it) and I also have a 2x 7900 GT's which also have drivers from Nvidia that support 64-bit (include chipset drivers, video, etc).

So I've researched a little bit and my hardware shouldn't be a problem, just want to know if I'm going come across something disastrous in the future, lol.

Thanks in advance guys, I'll check for replies tomorrow, I'm goin' to bed *snore*

2. IgneousPrime

Small bump :D

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    There isn't that much difference. Big differences is that you cannot run any 16 bit programs and you need to use signed drivers for the hardware, that means they need to be designed for Vista and they need Microsoft's approval.

You need to make sure that they programs will work and that you have all the 64 bit drivers for Vista. The ones you've listed should work but you should double check.

Performance wise, not much gain.

4. bigk

bigk

Are you serious? Whats the point of going 64 bit if theres no performance gain? I'm planning on going 64 bit because I thought that it was 2 times more powerful then a 32 bit processor. For example if I played Farcry on a 32 bit processor and then played it on a 64 bit processor I wouldn't see much performance gain? (The reason I mentioned Far Cry was because the box said it was 64 bit compatible.)

Big k:)

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well its not going be twice the gain, and for significant gains everything would need to be 64bit not just the operating system - which most things are not available in 64bit. 64 bit applications on a 64 bit operating system should indeed be faster, but 32 bit applications are only going to be a little faster, and some may not be faster at all.

If anyone has a link to a good benchmark of Vista x86 versus x64 I'd love to see it.

And yes, Farcry is available in 64 bit.

6. IgneousPrime

Okay cool, so at least theres no degraded performance in 32 bit programs, so there's really no disadvantage to upgrade to 64 bit I guess. Cool, thanks a lot for the info :D

7. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Hey ya T6.

I don't have any numbers for you, but x64 vs x86 (My experience) is x86 was faster for everyday apps (IE, FF, photoshop 7 and things of that nature)

x64 seems to perform about the same for more intensive apps (f.E.A.R, Flight Sim X)

IE 64 runs to me the same speed as Internet Explorer x86 does in Vista x86

Half Life 2 (64 bit enabled) runs faster, and smoother with everything cranked all the way up in Vista x64 then Half Life 2 did in x86 XP with Sp2.

Just my experience, and thought others might enjoy it.

Also I have been able to use Vista's default drivers with good luck on most un-supported software.

8. bigk

bigk

Is Half life 2 64 bit compatible? I own Half Life 2.

Bigk :)

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  10. jmwills

jmwills

There is a slight bit of performance loss when you run a 32 bit program under a 64 bit OS. XP and Vista 64 are nothing more that Microsoft sticking to their timetable of having the next release of Windows be 64 bit ONLY.

Windows 7 due in about 30 months.

11. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Yeah, but I could ever get HL2 to run under BETA 2 x86, at least not right.

x64 does it now though, it took some time though.

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Many changes since Beta 2, especially in the area of drivers from the manufacturers.

13. Zedman

Zedman

R u guys talking from experience or r u lot just talkin in ignorence, i swear most of the time people say that vista 64bit is not any more faster than 32bit and if some told u that then it must of been a sales person. :confused: :confused: :confused:
    I however have 64 bit vista and let me tell u, its rock solid and TWICE AS FAST in terms of OS speed. It really is!
    Im sure you other 32bit vista users are aware that unless u have a speedy raid setup, vist always takes more than about 1 minute and 10 secs to load to desktop right?
    well thats what i experienced when i was using 2gb of ram in dual channel, its loads even slower without dual channel, and loads a lot slower with 1 gb, about 1 minute and 30 secs.
    I have now switched to 64 bit home premiem, i am impressed, as now that one of my ram modules is busted, i am now on 1 gb single channel using exactly the same specs for the rest of my setup, and it takes 25 SECONDS to load to desktop, i noticed that everything is less slugish when using vista 64 bit compared with 32bit on 1gb. things are generally a fair bit more responsive, it is certainly more reliable and solid, it kicks systems blue screens, never will it crash, no way!. imagine when i get my replacement for the ram, i will have my original 2gb dual channel setup! it will be much faster...M8 trust me, go with 64bit!(y) (y) (y) im so happy with 64bit vista, it just works. if u got the right drivers, then games will work just as they did with 32bit vista. seing as ur gna switch to vista, make it 64bit cos if ur worried abt games compatibility, the only games that u find that wont work on vista64bit, soon patches will arrive, and also 32bit wont be better, wot i mean is that any game that dont work on 64 wont work on 32 either,its nothing to do with the bits, more to do with the new born OS!
    64BIT RULES!

14. Zedman

Zedman

and hu still uses 16 bit?
    and oh yeh using more ram than 4gb is ONE of the many advantages of 64bit Vista. as well as HD playback that 32bit cant hack!

15. Zedman

Zedman

Service pack 1 should sort out the ''slower by 0.1% performance of 32bit apps in 64bit os'' problems...its due for vista in the next few months i heard, cant w8

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543678

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice