1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows vita and my games

Discussion in 'Games' started by renegade981, Feb 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. renegade981

renegade981 Thread Starter

With windows Vista, will all my old games work, or will they not work on the Vista upgrade?...also does anyone know where i can get save game fiels for Halo for the PC(perferably ones that have beatin it on legendary:D )

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

The Vista transition and whether or not your games will make it will vary from game to game. Some games will likely run no problem, others may need a patch, and some won't run at all, just like old windows games on XP. game to game.

3. renegade981

renegade981 Thread Starter

so if it works on Xp it should work on vista...y would they make a new sytstem that will make it so u cant play some games...that doesnt make sense to me

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    depends on the programming of the OS too. More than likely the newer games (in the last 3-5 years) should be fine. Anything beyond that is a 50-50 chance.

5. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Windows Vista is going to be based on a 64-bit application, while Windows XP is still a 32-bit OS. If you have the Vista Beta, you should be able to get it in 32-bit as well. This would be for testing purposes only. As mentioned, you may need a patch for older games not programmed to work in a 64-bit environment.

6. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

I don't know where your getting your facts firefytr - This comes straight from the creative website (has hardware reasons for wanting to post proper information) and I can cite other sites as well.

32 bit is still here for awhile I believe no need to scare people to 64 bit just yet. (though I have to admit I am running x64 and I like it) I just don't want the wrong information floating out there.

As far as wanting to know why new OSes sometimes won't play old application is fundementally this reason. You have a platform (Windows XP, Dos or whatever) people then write the program to function ON that platform. When a new platform comes out the new platform does not always have the same files, the same hooks, the same layout as the original platform. This in effect "breaks" the game that was working fine on one platform and makes it so it won't play on the new one.

Whenever you upgrade your platform your bound to have some fallout just by going to newer technology.

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    a little off topic stumptechy, 1-10... how good is the 64bit vs. 32bit?

8. -=ZeroHour=-

-=ZeroHour=-

I've read that MS is overhauling the graphics and audio drivers for Vista.. this may have a big impact on what older games will run on it.

Also, they're considering a central online access for multiplayer games much like they do with Xbox Live. That will be "D-Day" for gamers and for developers as most people will probably pay for one gaming access (Xbox Live) not two. I for one do not want to have to "pay to play". I paid for the game that comes with multiplayer as part of the cost. I shouldn't have to pay more to use it.

9. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

If XP was a 5. I would say 64 bit is actually 7 the ONLY thing keeping it from being a 8-9 is the current lack of drivers/support for 64 bit as far as hardware and applications.

Pros of going 64 bit - Faster processing, GREAT at video rendering apps, I can see the potential for games running 64 bit instead of 32 bit. (Some already do).
    Cons of going 64 bit - 32 bit apps don't run 64 bit so no speed increase, not all hardware supports 64 bit.

OMG if all game developers get together and say we will only use this system I think I would have a heart attack. On the other hand I really don't think I would like for there only to be one gaming system without the flexibility of other venues of play I.E. private server, LAN, free servers, and whatnot.

10. JetSirus

JetSirus

The 64bit version of XP Pro has had many many reports that most current games run fine. Doom 3, Half-Life 2, etc. As for older 95/98 and DOS based games you may run into multiple problems.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/442152

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice