1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows wants a flash drive to set up a secured connection?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MaStAViC, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MaStAViC

MaStAViC Thread Starter

Hi, I hope you're well.

I'm helping someone with this and am a bit confused. I've only talked to her over the phone, so I don't have all the details I'd like. Also, she's computer illiterate.

Basically, her Windows (not sure which version) is telling her that to set up a secured connection, she needs to use a flash drive for some reason. She thinks she is able to get online right now, but only through an unsecured connection.

I don't think a flash drive is needed for this process, but as I am not even sure what this process is, I'm rather confused. Does someone have more information? What exactly is Windows asking of her right now? Her main thing is just to be able to connect to the Internet securely and easily.

Thanks,
    Vic

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

What kind of "secured" connection? Is software being used to set this up?

Does it give any indication what the USB drive is for, except possibly for saving some security key?

Hold on. Maybe someone has some ideas about this.

3. MaStAViC

MaStAViC Thread Starter

I am thinking that the flash drive is just for saving a security key. Unless she's setting up a network, she doesn't need a flash drive, right?

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

Some new routers come with a flash drive to help set up the initial connection to the router . . It's easy to do it manually however

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Oh, maybe that's it. To copy the configuration to the key for use on other machines that would be on the network.

No, there is no reason to use a key just to set up a network. Thus, my perplexity. :D

6. Old Rich

Old Rich

The new Cisco "Valet" router comes with a flash drive for " worry free setup" . . in trying to make the setup easier, they make it more confusing . .

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

That's the case with a lot of the software that comes with routers. It installs when you install the driver and pretty much duplicates what Windows has already, sometimes even disabling the Windows controls. Then, you need to use the same software to connect other machines, and when you have problems, no one except them can help because so few are familiar with the software. It's a scam to make people dependent on them.

I've spent a lot of time extracting bare drivers from those setup programs in order to avoid installing the whole pile of junk to a machine. Or installed the junk, saved the driver, and then uninstalled the junk.

8. MaStAViC

MaStAViC Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

There should be an easy way to just ignore the using a flash drive part of the setup and just use Windows to do it, right?

Thank you,
    Vic

9. Old Rich

Old Rich

Yep . . If the router is already set up properly, she can just connect, enter the security key and should be on . . if the router has not been set up, she can log on the router with an ethernet cable and set it up. The router manual will show how to do all this

10. MaStAViC

MaStAViC Thread Starter

Thank you, Rich.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031991

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice