1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows washer 4.8/5.0

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by sleekluxury, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sleekluxury

sleekluxury Thread Starter

i like webroot's window washer program, it cleans up stuff thats left over on your hard drive that has been deleted, but is still lying around, and its also performs many functions as writing over the data to DoD and NSA specs. so its good, and recently version 5.0 was realeased, havent tried that one yet, i only got 4.8, but 5.0 should be better and more thorough..someone give 5.0 a drive and report back on how it goes, there all 30 days trials though...but heres the link:
    Win. washer 5.0:
    http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10227068.html
    Win washer 4.8
    http://www.window-washer.info/

2. 700mb80min

700mb80min Banned

Do a complete unin-stall and then install it again for another 30 days , and then do a complete unistall for another 30 days , and another 30 days..............................................get the picture.;)

3. Dark Star

Dark Star

sleekluxury ...

Webroot's Window Washer 5.0 works as it should with one exception, there's a minor glitch in the AutoComplete data removal function.
    According to their tech support ... "for the time being in order to avoid the error message please uncheck the AutoComplete Data Removal function." and "we're currently working on it" ...

While I did receive a prompt reply from their tech support they didn't really say when they expect to have the 'fix' available if ever. :rolleyes:

IMO Window Washer is Ok .... not bad but not exactly a program that I'd bust out $25 for to do over again. It was supposed to go up to $29 if it hasn't already.

btw ... you are entitled to free product upgrades for one year so you may want to check and see if you can get the 5.0 upgrade. I didn't have 4.8 so I'm not sure what new 'features' 5.0 offers.

700mb80min...

As far as doing a "complete unin-stall and then install it again for another 30 days" .... spare yourself the trouble.
    It's unethical, just use it for 30 days and if you like it buy the thing, if not you've lost nothing.
    btw ... Webroot's Window Washer leaves a small footprint from the prior install so they've got that un-install and re-install game covered.

DS

4. 700mb80min

700mb80min Banned

As far as doing a "complete unin-stall and then install it again for another 30 days" .... spare yourself the trouble.
    It's unethical, just use it for 30 days and if you like it buy the thing, if not you've lost nothing.
    btw ... Webroot's Window Washer leaves a small footprint from the prior install so they've got that un-install and re-install game covered.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any software out there that does not contain an " effective" footprint in my opinion is up for grabs. Webroots Window Washer does not contain such a feature , or it is missing something . I have installed WWW a minimum of 5 times when the " trial " has run out .

As far as the ethical aspect of using the software , maybe they should think about putting the software on the shelf until the " bugs" are fixed , or at least leave the price alone until then . And lastly , $29 for something you can do yourself with a few clicks and a few minutes is way beyond .

That`s my opinion for what it`s worth .

:)

5. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

6. sleekluxury

No you can't just Uninstall it then Install it again, it doesn't work.

7. Dark Star

Dark Star

sleekluxury ...

I was reasonably sure it wouldn't and that's the reason I said it wouldn't.... then again according to 700mb80min it does.

DS

8. 700mb80min

700mb80min Banned

Maybe they changed ( or added ) a footprint to 5.0 , which would stop the re-install game . I am on my back-up pc for a few days , and my 30 days will again be up on my main system and i will try yet another re-install of the older version ( 4.8 ) , which like i said i have done many times before .

It`s too bad you updated your version , and if the " beta " or 5.0 doesn`t work out for you , try eraser , i hear it`s pretty good as well ......

......700mb80min

9. sleekluxury

Well i haven't tried it with 5.0, maybe i should try to do that, but i still got 23 days left.

10. 700mb80min

700mb80min Banned

Dark Star i installed 4.8 for the umtinth time again today to prove i could, after deleting 5.0 and ran the application without a hitch like i said it would .

11. Scorpioilya

Scorpioilya

Window Washer has spyware in it, fyi........ironically i think that company makes anti-spyware software....

12. sleekluxury

It does make Anti-Spyware software, but i don't think that it contains spyware, i didn't find any spyware after its installation.

13. sleekluxury

i tried Uninstalling and then reinstalling Windows Washer 5.0, but it has the foot print, so it's not reusable like 4.8.

14. 700mb80min

700mb80min Banned

RECEIVED THIS FROM DARK STAR TODAY

......................................................................................................

Just thought I'd give you a shout .... glad to hear you could re-install WinWash5.0 trial ver over itself without any probs ... myself I found it to install over itself no prob other than the cookie keeper portion of the program didn't want to work for me after the initial 30day trial had run out. ... so it works for you but not for me... gotta love Windows but be that as it may I'm looking at the thread and I see that someone named Scorpioilya just had to dive in to tell us all about WinWash and how it contains spyware.

You want to flip a coin, or do you want to just go ahead and comment.... I think I'll sit back and wait on this one.

cheers

DS

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Listen you idiot , this thread was all but closed until you start with your idiotic rambling yet again about ww 5.0 and why it will only work on my system , while i clearly posted that i did the re-install numerous times with version 4.8 , and that maybe 5.0 did indeed leave a footprint after you said it would`nt work .

Now you find a " glimmer of hope " because someone posts that window washer has spy-ware and that version 5.0 will not work for sleekluxury , after we alraedy came to that conclusion ? Where did this spy-ware info come from and why wasn`t a link supplied with the post ?

Listen , keep your useless drivel to your-self next time . You only make your-self look like MORE of an idiot , and yes i am at present still using window washer !

15. mobo

mobo

I've done it a few times myself :rolleyes:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170846

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice