Windows' webcam component not working(?)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Smoothie

Good afternoon everybody, hope you had a great Christmas.

Unfortunately, one of the gifts I received this Christmas, a webcam (specificially, this webcam), refuses to work on my Windows XP Home computer.

The drivers appeared to install fine (although there was a warning about a missing streamci.dll, which I later put into my system32 folder), however when I try to view the webcam by going into My Computer > Webcam, it gives the following error message -

I realised that it may be a hardware problem, but the product works fine on a friend's Win XP Home laptop with similar specification. To make sure it was a fault with my computer in particular, I tried the webcam function of a conventional digital stills cam and the result was the same - worked fine on the laptop, but the same error occured on my computer. Consequently, I posted the problem here, suspecting it was related to my Win. XP installation as opposed to a hardware fault.

If anyone has any idea how I could go about trying to fix this problem, I would be hugely grateful. Is there any part of Windows I could reinstall or repair relating to its webcam support?

A massive thanks in advance to anyone who can give any help whatsoever. ;)

PS: Service Pack 2 is installed on both systems.

First go to the device manager and check you’re USB for any flags. If there is a flag, remove the device that it is beside and restart the computer and have windows replace it. If there is no flag go into the BIOS and check and see if the USB port is enabled or disabled make sure that it is enabled.

Attachments

Smoothie

Thanks for your attention. There aren't any flagged USB devices, and the fact that the device makes Windows sound when plugged in suggests to me that it is not a hardware fault. The device is recognised by Windows in my computer, it just doesn't want to display the image.

You were saying that you installed all the software for the webcam and that you had an error regarding streamci.dll which you put into the system32 folder? Have you reinstalled the software? Or have you tried moving the connection to another USB port?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online